Brake booster vacuum line?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Brake booster vacuum line?

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:39 pm

Fair warning, I may be completely off in my assumptions below..

I upgraded my carbs from the stock Solex to Weber IDF 40s for my engine. I believe the intake manifold is supposed to have a bung or something that the brake booster vacuum line attaches to? The new intake manifolds I received don't have these attachments. Do I need to find a machine shop to add them?

If this really is the case, could someone explain how the air intake can assist the car in braking? I just can't wrap my head around that...
1973 Camper - Bliss
Currently engine-less, awaiting a camper special.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Re: Brake booster vacuum line?

Post by tristessa » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:29 pm

BlissfullyCrusin wrote:I upgraded my carbs from the stock Solex to Weber IDF 40s for my engine. I believe the intake manifold is supposed to have a bung or something that the brake booster vacuum line attaches to? The new intake manifolds I received don't have these attachments. Do I need to find a machine shop to add them?
You need manifold vacuum to the brake booster, otherwise you've got no power to your power brakes. Machine shop would be the easy way to do it, but it's not necessary if you're somewhat mechanically inclined. Drill the manifolds to .. well, whatever size is suggested on the package of the pipe tap (NPT thread) you'll need to buy. 1/4" NPT should be fine, 3/8" NPT might be overkill. Tapping the runners for cylinders #1 and #3 should be good enough, tapping all four might be overkill (but certainly wouldn't hurt)

Anyway, drill & tap both manifolds (however many holes and whatever size you decide on), install hose-barb nipples into the holes you just made. If you only tapped 1 & 3, run hose from the nipples to a tee and connect the brake booster hose to the tee as well. If you tapped all four, tee them together as 1/2 and 3/4, then run hose from those tees into a third tee and connect the brake booster to that one. In either case, don't forget the check valve.
BlissfullyCrusin wrote:If this really is the case, could someone explain how the air intake can assist the car in braking? I just can't wrap my head around that...
I'll leave that to Colin, he's got a better mind for explaining the inner workings than I do .. at least at this time of evening. :drunken:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:13 pm

I'm stealing adventurewagens pic - Image

John at aircooled.net told me to only tap the number 3 cylinder, which is what I did and it seems to work just fine.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:59 am

The example is a traditional front-engine car, but the principles are the same....

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-brake.htm
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:08 pm

Thanks for all the responses!!

Tritessa - you say: "In either case, don't forget the check valve. "

Don't forget what? To attach a hose to it? I'm pretty sure all the vacuum hoses are still attached to the brake booster, so I can trace/replace those lines I think.

Chit - thanks for the pic! That helps a lot.

vwlover - Duh. I LOVE howstuffworks.com...should've checked there. Thanks!
1973 Camper - Bliss
Currently engine-less, awaiting a camper special.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:25 pm

chitwnvw wrote:John at aircooled.net told me to only tap the number 3 cylinder, which is what I did and it seems to work just fine.
Do not tap to one cylinder only. The pulsing of one cylinder's intake stroke only is tough on the delicate actuating valve inside the booster, and any leak in the hoses from the engine to the booster will kill that cylinder in short order with only a slight loss of power as your clue.

The factory engineers tapped 1 and 3 because they are opposing cylinders with intake strokes separated by 360*. This serves as a decent enough pulse damper and gives you faster recharge of the booster. Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles