Caliper Cylinder removal - '77 Bay

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Caliper Cylinder removal - '77 Bay

Post by RussellK » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:16 am

I was blowing air through the caliper to clean out the old gunk and one of the cylinders popped out. There was a lot of gunk in there so it seemed like it would be a good idea to get the other cylinder out and clean things up there too. I found a tool at German Supply to aid in removal but they are out of stock. Does anyone have a technique for cylinder removal they'd care to share?
-Russ

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:18 am

What's wrong w/ the compressed air that got the 1st one out?
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:29 am

RSorak 71Westy wrote:What's wrong w/ the compressed air that got the 1st one out?
Well, for starters, there is a huge air leak where the first piston used to reside. Clean and reinstall the first one. You will have to hold it against the air pressure to give the second piston a chance to get blown out.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:14 am

Amskeptic wrote:
RSorak 71Westy wrote:What's wrong w/ the compressed air that got the 1st one out?
Well, for starters, there is a huge air leak where the first piston used to reside. Clean and reinstall the first one. You will have to hold it against the air pressure to give the second piston a chance to get blown out.
Colin
I thought about doing this but wondered if I might damage the piston doing this. That first one really shot out. Glad my finger wasn't in the way.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:09 pm

RussellK wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Colin
I thought about doing this but wondered if I might damage the piston doing this. That first one really shot out. Glad my finger wasn't in the way.
Repair manuals call for a small block of wood to catch the piston just before it leaves the bore entirely. Good luuck.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles