1968 Beetle Front Axle Nut Locking Bolt

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

1968 Beetle Front Axle Nut Locking Bolt

Post by hambone » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:44 am

EDIT 1968 Beetle front brakes and bearing repack.
All cleaned up and installed, then as I'm adjusting the endplay on the driver's side wheel bearing and ready to call it a nite, the lock screw breaks off (Brazilian of course). No problem I head to the hardware store...but they only have hex head at M7. Weird, I buy one but the head interferes with the drum.
A futile citywide search turns up no screw.

Then Gypsie shows up. He grinds down the hex head M7, cuts a nice deep slot in the head and that is that. Everything bolted together as VW intended.
I have no idea why a M7 capscrew would be so hard to find, but I pass this on so you can stock up on a couple and not get stranded somewhere because of a stupid 50 cent part.

This is the screw that fits into a countersunk hole on the large split nut that holds the wheel on, and keeps the wheel bearings in adjustment. Directly underneath the hub cover. It is normally tightened with an allenwrench but a socket head would be impossible to carve out with a Dremel tool.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: M7 Socket Head Cap Screw Blues

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:36 am

hambone wrote:It was time to take apart the front wheels on the Beetle. P.O.s....what a mess they make.
Could you rewrite this? This is in the technical forum, and I don't know what you are talking about re: "locking down the last bearing" and what is the "lock screw" and why does it need a nice deep slot ground into it, and what year car? The search would appreciate a more germaine subject header.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles