Brake vacuum line, Type 1 in a late bay conversion

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ryan@schassen.com
I'm New!

Brake vacuum line, Type 1 in a late bay conversion

Post by ryan@schassen.com » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:53 pm

I have read what I could find on this conversion and am almost finished, hoping to drive the bus tonight. My manifolds only have the "breather" ports from 1 manifold to the other.

My question is:

Should I drill a port into the manifold for the brake boost vacuum?

Can I "T" off the breather line to accomplish this vacuum requirement? Will it draw enough or too much?

Thoughts?

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Brake vacuum line, Type 1 in a late bay conversion

Post by asiab3 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:34 pm

Hey Ryan,

Are we discussing the "breather" between the two air cleaners, or the "balance tubes" between the two manifolds?

T-ing into the balance tube is the acceptable way of doing it these days, but I wanted to make sure we're on the same page with terminology. Make sure the balance tube and T are large enough to handle the pressure/flow requirements of the brake booster. Use the brake booster hose for size comparisons; no quarter inch crap that some volume rebuilders deem "sufficient." :/

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

ryan@schassen.com
I'm New!

Re: Brake vacuum line, Type 1 in a late bay conversion

Post by ryan@schassen.com » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:42 am

Correct, balance tube. The current line of the booster is 12mm, the line I ran between the manifolds is 7mm. I was going to run a 7mm off a T, then step up to 12mm on the other side of the tin. Sounds like if I have the line tight and without leaks it should perform. They don't make a 7/7/12 (or a standard) T, so I am going to have to scale it up. Thanks for the response!

Bus is running great! Just a few more things to add to it:
mount the external oil filter, cooler, and fan
Cylinder Head Temp gauge
Breather Box / Relief line in the valve covers.
Build bracket to mount late model mustache bar