HELP! Pulsing brake after rear bearing replacement

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

83AC
Getting Hooked!

HELP! Pulsing brake after rear bearing replacement

Post by 83AC » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:29 am

We replaced our rear wheel bearings this weekend on our 1983 air cooled Vanagon camper. After the passenger side the braking is all fine and well. After the driver side, the brakes pulsate when applied. I will acknowledge that there was 1 mistake I seem to have made upon disassembly - I used a hammer, pretty lightly, to tap the outer edge of the brake drum to help loosen it from the hub. I have since read that this is a no-no and will warp the drum. I'm worried this may be what I've done. Also, I didn't have a bearing press and so used the outer race from the old bearing to hammer in the new outer bearing - again, starting lightly and working in a circular pattern. It was very tight and I'm a little worried that maybe I messed up the bearing in the process. I did the passenger side the same way and did not have an issue. . . ugh. I've done some research and have some ideas that I'll be looking at tonight, but looking for further feedback as well. We are looking to go from White Salmon, WA to the Bagby Hot Springs area (2.5 to 3 hours) tomorrow and I'm not sure whether we should take the Penny Lane or not now. - feedback on this would be helpful also. I know driving with warped drums wouldn't help our stopping power, and would also run the risk of improper wear on the shoes. I don't know how much is too much though.

Things to check tonight:
1. Torque of lug nuts (we have alloy wheels) - I believe, unless I missed something, I torqued them all yesterday to 123 ft/lbs, starting with the wheel off the ground torqueing in a star pattern up to about 100 ft/lbs, then the rest with the while on the ground after torqueing the axle nut.
2. Inspect brake drum and shoes for any grease, etc. on them, maybe hit the drums with some brake clean in case - I was pretty careful to not put greasy fingers on the drum or shoes.
3. Drive slowly and lightly pull on e brake with finger on release button to feel for pulsing of the handle that would indicate warped drums.

Ok, wizards - let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
Anderson
Say what you mean; do what you say.
1983 AC Vanagon camper - Penny Lane

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: HELP! Pulsing brake after rear bearing replacement

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:51 pm

83AC wrote:We replaced our rear wheel bearings this weekend on our 1983 air cooled Vanagon camper. After the passenger side the braking is all fine and well. After the driver side, the brakes pulsate when applied.
Things to check tonight:
1. Torque of lug nuts
2. Inspect brake drum and shoes for any grease,
3. Drive slowly and lightly pull on e brake with finger on release button to feel for pulsing of the handle that would indicate warped drums.

Anderson
Check for grease from a seal popping out or throwing excess, and check for wetness underneath the rubber boots from a wheel cylinder leak. Clean. Cross-hatch sand the drum followed by a GumOut rinse/paper towel wipe down. Repeat.

Adjust brakes b-r-a-k-e-s carefully! If shoes are too tight, they will heat the drum and cause dreadful pulsation. Test the ebrake with the left rear wheel off the ground. It must release fully.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

83AC
Getting Hooked!

Post by 83AC » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:27 pm

It seems Colin teaches another lesson! While the problem was not fully resolved, it was much improved. I should note that I only did the driver side and only sanded the drum. I've since been told to also cross-hatch the shoes. Yay or nay? I also still need to do the passenger side. We had a stellar trip down to Bagby Hot Springs, Silver Falls, Clear Lake, Belknap Hot Springs, Sahalie, Koosah, and Blue Pool. First cold weather trip! Even some snow one evening. Super fun! Now head over to the wheel bearings thread for another question :-)
Say what you mean; do what you say.
1983 AC Vanagon camper - Penny Lane

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:32 am

Yes, I highly recommend cross-hatch sanding both the shoes and the drum whenever the drum is off, planned brake work or not. The sanding does a fine job of removing glaze buildup, fingerprint residue, and grease leakage.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.