Brake Lights

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jonyem
Getting Hooked!

Brake Lights

Post by jonyem » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:05 pm

Last year during Colin's visit we checked and adjusted the brakes. They felt really good afterwards. Flash forward to a few weeks ago when I got my bus back from my mechanic (repaired head, replaced fuel sender, general check up) and the brakes have been weak and the lights don't work. Since then I've gone and cleaned up all the wiring connections, but haven't adjusted the brakes until I got some advice.

At this moment the brake lights won't come on until I've pumped them a couple times, which also makes the brake pedal stiffer (?), then they come on. But when I let off the brakes they seem to deflate (?) and the brake lights go back to not working. The brake fluid reservoir is full.

Thoughts?

Jonathan
Late 1973 ASI/Riviera conversion.

JLT
Old School!

Re: Brake Lights

Post by JLT » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:22 pm

jonyem wrote:
Thoughts?

Jonathan
I'm thinking blown master cylinder, or otherwise catastrophic failure of the integrity of the brake system. If there was a leak somewhere else, you'd see it, but if the master cylinder front seal is blown and the brake fluid is leaking into the booster, you wouldn't see that.

I had that issue a year or two ago. If you search back in my posts, you'll probably find the thread where it was hashed and rehashed.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

jonyem
Getting Hooked!

Post by jonyem » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:34 pm

JLT wrote:
jonyem wrote:
Thoughts?

Jonathan
I'm thinking blown master cylinder, or otherwise catastrophic failure of the integrity of the brake system. If there was a leak somewhere else, you'd see it, but if the master cylinder front seal is blown and the brake fluid is leaking into the booster, you wouldn't see that.

I had that issue a year or two ago. If you search back in my posts, you'll probably find the thread where it was hashed and rehashed.
I've already put the possibility into my thinking that I'd have to replace the master cylinder. I'll check out your posts on the subject.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:28 pm

I concur sounds like a bad master cylinder
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.