Rope lights

Contribute, Battle-Scarred Repair Warriors!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

AzironaZack
I'm New!

Rope lights

Post by AzironaZack » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:39 am

Last night I was working on my '79 and what with the days getting shorter (in this hemisphere, at least) the sun was down and it was too dark to work on the bus by about 6 PM. Since I had only gotten to start working at 5 I was disappointed and started searching around the garage (it's not my garage, see) for a light. The only thing I could find was a halogen lamp and I didn't so much desire to be working on exhaust with that hot thing sitting next to my face.

Buried in a pile under some tarps I came up a rope light. You know the sort people use for highlighting stairs, or putting next to a red carpet, or for Christmas decorations. Like this: http://www.lampsplus.com/products/Super ... 81043.html

I decided to try it out.

It turned out to be the BEST DARN LIGHT I've ever used under the bus. It's a rope, so it's flexible, and there are a ton of lights in it, so it puts off a lot of light. You can twist and poke it into position wherever you want it. It's not hot at all, just a little bit warm. It's soft enough to lay your head on but durable enough not to be damaged by having a person scootching around on top of it. I installed the entire exhaust system using the rope light and it couldn't have been easier.

So that's my suggestion: If you need light, get a rope light. I'm seriously considering picking one up for myself for this sole purpose.
Finally feels almost like a bus ought to feel!

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:42 am

No kidding. That's a great idea. So it come with a plug you can just just plug into the wall?
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:44 am

Good idea! Thanks. The trouble light has a habit of falling...
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

AzironaZack
I'm New!

Post by AzironaZack » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:45 am

Manfred wrote:So it come with a plug you can just just plug into the wall?
Yes, that's the one drawback of the rope lights: you've got to have a place to plug them in. That does limit their usefulness on the side of the road (unless perhaps there are low-voltage versions available).

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

Post by justgimmecoffee » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:40 am

that's a brilliant idea. They're also pretty toxic-spill proof. for the portable version, they do have rechargeable LED trouble light for about $40 dollars.

Shop smart, shop S mart!

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:27 pm

Best trouble light I've ever used is an AAA-powered LED flashlight. Small enough to go anywhere, tons of light and totally safe. It quite often winds up between my teeth if I need three hands.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26988
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

hiwaycallin
Getting Hooked!

Post by hiwaycallin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:00 pm

glasseye wrote:Best trouble light I've ever used is an AAA-powered LED flashlight. Small enough to go anywhere, tons of light and totally safe. It quite often winds up between my teeth if I need three hands.
What you need is a Lite Bite!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:11 pm

How does the rope light do with an inadvertant gas spill of flammable vapors? Does it run relativly cool? Excellent idea, BTW.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:24 pm

I got Jeffrey one of those hats with the light on top that spelunkers use. He LOVES it. This is a great idea too, may pick one of these up for a holiday gift for Phred. :king:
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:21 pm

Amskeptic wrote:How does the rope light do with an inadvertant gas spill of flammable vapors? Does it run relativly cool? Excellent idea, BTW.
Colin
Shouldn't be effected at all. It's a series of leds encased in a clear plasic hose.

Great idea ArizonaZack! =D>

-John
Keep it acoustic.

AzironaZack
I'm New!

Post by AzironaZack » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:30 am

I'm not sure how the plastic is affected by automotive chemicals. Grease, oil, and gasoline can do interesting things to plastic.

I didn't expose it to any chemicals so I can't vouch for its resistance. It held up without any remarkable damage to incidental contact with grime on the bottom of my engine.

The light I used was a 120v AC version. It ran a little warm: I could feel the warmth when I laid my head on it. It wasn't nearly warm enough to be a source of ignition for gas vapors (something that always worries me with halogen lights). I've seen some low voltage LED versions online. Those probably run really cool.

Thanks John. Necessity being the mother of invention I can't really claim this was my idea. I just stumbled across it and knew I had to share it with the world. Call it rope light evangelism.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:23 am

I got a headband with a 3 led light on it at autozone. I absolutely love it.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

AzironaZack
I'm New!

Post by AzironaZack » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:37 am

I love my LED headlamp too. In fact I've loved it to death: the elastic strap has become all saggy and baggy through years of use. I suppose it's time to bust out the needle and thread and fashion a new strap for it.

That lamp comes with me on all road-trips, no matter what car I'm driving. It also comes with me to bed sometimes when I want to read but my wife insists on having the bedside lamp turned off. It's the bee's knees when camping… I could go on and on.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:50 am

AzironaZack wrote:I love my LED headlamp too.
I used to love mine. Now the hinge has gone all 'floppy'. :-(

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:52 am

I saw a new headband the other day with 8 LEDs!
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------