Stinky Heat

Contribute, Battle-Scarred Repair Warriors!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Stinky Heat

Post by Gypsie » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:10 pm

My heat smells baaaaaad. I geve my engine compartment an oil bath this summer when my oil filler tube shook off it's tube and oil was sucked into the fan and therefore splashed all ofer the place. I have since pulled the engine, (for another reason that I don't wish to discuss at this time, suffice it to say it had to do with a stripped out plug that was repaired with an insert that up and blew out.) The area where the fresh air passes over the heat exchanger looked fairly clean but may have residue on it. I have also had several leaky valve covers and this drips onto the top[ of the enchanger but not necessarily into. I am wondering:
1. Since it is almost surely oil I am smelling, (it is not smoky but smelly). Is this bad for me?
2. Does any one have any suggestions as to how to clean-it out
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: stinky heat

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:43 am

Gypsie wrote:My heat smells baaaaaad.
Once oil has dripped into the exchangers, you have a bit of a problem, namely that conventional methods of cleaning will not work.

Do try to clean and dry everything you can reach and see, I use carb spray which is aggressive but quite good at releasing coked-on oil residue.

Remove the plastic accordian ducts from control valves, all other components of system must be intact.
Retard your timing 10* and drive on surface streets only for 30-60 miles or so. It will be sluggish and may stall at lights, but we are trying to do a "self-cleaning oven" heat cleaning, keep revs up while you are moving.
When you get home, re-time engine and reinstall accordian ducts when engine has cooled. If you keep new oil from landing on the exchangers, the aroma will clear out in a few weeks.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:35 pm

Just the kind of idea I was looking for. I will try it.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:14 am

Hey Stephan, did the cleaning help? I had a similar issue going on. As soon as the heat would kick in there would be a nasty, but short lived burst'o'stink. Three weeks ago as we were driving from Eugene to Pendleton, about 1/2 an hr. into the trip there was a massive burst'o'stink and it's been clean ever since. The outside of my HE's were pretty clean from the start, so I think I must have had a blob of goop inside that finally burned off.

-John
Keep it acoustic.