engine break-in questions

Contribute, Battle-Scarred Repair Warriors!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

metric Cwrench
Getting Hooked!

engine break-in questions

Post by metric Cwrench » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:23 am

i'm not there quite yet, but i'd like to start gathering the info to do this right. i've got new rings going on old pistons/cylinders. i've read thru lots of info on ratwell's site and IAC, but i think i still have some questions:

1. if i understand right- basically 2 stages of break-in: initial start-up and 20 (or so) minutes running; couple hundred miles easy street driving, using all gears (but no lugging)

2. oil and filter changes at end of each stage, to remove any metal that gets shaved off the new rings as they become acclimated to their new home.

3. what oil is recommended, if different from what i will run eventually? [after the break-in i'm figuring on running conventional , 20w50 during warmer seasons, 10w40 or 15w40 in winter (bus and i live in michigan)]

4. i'll be changing oil and filter at 1500mi after break-in, and judging what i see in what comes out, may go to 3000mi intervals after that.

please let me know if i missed something, misunderestimated some info, or any other tips/suggestions for this project. thanks, alll

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:00 am

Youve basically got it, the 1st 20 min should be above 2000 RPM and varying RPM do not let it idle or run slower than 2000.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:54 am

RSorak 71Westy wrote:Youve basically got it, the 1st 20 min should be above 2000 RPM and varying RPM do not let it idle or run slower than 2000.
I was told to fluctuate between 2500 & 4000.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

satchmo
Old School!

Re: engine break-in questions

Post by satchmo » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:02 pm

metric Cwrench wrote:i'm not there quite yet, but i'd like to start gathering the info to do this right. i've got new rings going on old pistons/cylinders. i've read thru lots of info on ratwell's site and IAC, but i think i still have some questions:

1. if i understand right- basically 2 stages of break-in: initial start-up and 20 (or so) minutes running; couple hundred miles easy street driving, using all gears (but no lugging)

2. oil and filter changes at end of each stage, to remove any metal that gets shaved off the new rings as they become acclimated to their new home.

3. what oil is recommended, if different from what i will run eventually? [after the break-in i'm figuring on running conventional , 20w50 during warmer seasons, 10w40 or 15w40 in winter (bus and i live in michigan)]

4. i'll be changing oil and filter at 1500mi after break-in, and judging what i see in what comes out, may go to 3000mi intervals after that.

please let me know if i missed something, misunderestimated some info, or any other tips/suggestions for this project. thanks, alll
1) The initial 20 minute run is to break in the cam. After that, do a series of acceleration/deceleration cycles in each gear to set the rings.

3) Most folks would recommend an oil higher in zinc (ZDDP) for initial break in. ZDDP is an anti-wear additive that was once popular in motor oil and is good for engines like ours with the flat lifters. It has slowly been removed from common motor oils because higher levels of ZDDP have a propensity to poison catalytic converters (or so it is said). I used Valvoline 4-cycle motorcycle oil on my engine break in process. The zinc content may not be as much a worry for you if you have hydraulic lifters.

General consensus is NOT to use synthetic oil for break in (not that you were considering it, just thought I should say it).

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:50 pm

Sluggo wrote:
RSorak 71Westy wrote:Youve basically got it, the 1st 20 min should be above 2000 RPM and varying RPM do not let it idle or run slower than 2000.
I was told to fluctuate between 2500 & 4000.
That is the entire rev range during the initial couple of hundred miles. But during the first 20 minutes, it should be an easy 2,000-2,500 with a couple of slightly higher bursts.

Ring break-in should be in 2nd or 3rd but not 4th. You want the engine to be able to increase RPMs pretty quickly and then coast down in that gear. 4th is too tall and could develop some unwanted heat.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

metric Cwrench
Getting Hooked!

Post by metric Cwrench » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:04 pm

thankyou, thankyou.

i'm only breaking in new rings, but it's nearly 5yr since this bus was a running. will follow the proceedures and advice given here, but i don't think zinc is for this engine. i've been reading the thread on oil (engine forum, posted by hippie, i think), and i just don't know about all that- fortunately i don't have to just yet (more time to digest information and learn more before i need a full-blown rebuild).

so i can use the 20w50 oil for the break-ins?

thanks again all for the help.

72Hardtop
Old School!

Post by 72Hardtop » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 pm

metric Cwrench wrote:thankyou, thankyou.

i'm only breaking in new rings, but it's nearly 5yr since this bus was a running. will follow the proceedures and advice given here, but i don't think zinc is for this engine. i've been reading the thread on oil (engine forum, posted by hippie, i think), and i just don't know about all that- fortunately i don't have to just yet (more time to digest information and learn more before i need a full-blown rebuild).

so i can use the 20w50 oil for the break-ins?

thanks again all for the help.

If your just breaking in rings...yes 20w/50 is fine.

As for proper break-in:

1. 20 mins for cam break-in using non detergent 30 weight oil @ 2000-2500rpms.

2. Then drain oil and refill with non detergent 30 weight and run for 300 miles (city driving).

3. Check valve lash )cold engine) and drain oil and clean sump screen. Refill with appropriate grade oil containing proper ZDDP levels.

4. Enjoy your new motor. Don't be surprised if you find you need to adjust the valves several times or so during the initial 1000 miles or so. This is due to the newly rebuilt or new heads settling in.
1972 Westy tintop
2056cc T-4 - 7.8:1 CR
Weber 40mm Duals - 47.5idles, 125mains, F11 tubes, 190 Air corr., 28mm Vents
96mm AA Biral P/C's w/Hastings rings
42x36mm Heads (AMC- Headflow Masters) w/Porsche swivel adjusters
71mm Stroke
Web Cam 73 w/matched Web lifters
S&S 4-1 exhaust w/Walker 17862 quiet-pack
Pertronix SVDA w/Pertronix module & Flamethrower 40K coil (7* initial 28* total @3200+)
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's