Great Hacks or, I will NOT be stranded here ...

Contribute, Battle-Scarred Repair Warriors!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:25 am

Thought I should add my fuel pump pivot pin lasso to the thread. Two snap buttons and two band clamps. Made it home 290 miles.

1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Great Hacks or, I will NOT be stranded here ...

Post by asiab3 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:50 am

It's one thing to be stranded on a lazy afternoon with a stumbling bus and an overly prepared tool box. But it's a whole new level of sheer terror to have a ready and willing bus to tackle the world's problems in, and… What's that? The keys are in the ignition and you've locked yourself out? Nice.

I felt fine, when on this 108* day I lost spark in the middle of freaking nowhere. After all, I had food, water, tools, and parts.

But this new tactical exercise proved to be no match for children's toys. Thankfully(?) some side winds blew out a louvered window last month, so I was able to re-break it without feeling too guilty. After that, it was a quick jaunt to my workshop to whip up the oddest tool I've ever used.

The LEGO-Volkswagen-Idiot-Stick:

At about three feet long with a peg on the end, it allowed me to reach into the cab and flick the '69-ONLY door lock tab open. And then on that day, Buddy and I tackled the problem of a burrito surplus at the local mercado.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

JLT
Old School!

Re: Great Hacks or, I will NOT be stranded here ...

Post by JLT » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:50 pm

asiab3 wrote: And then on that day, Buddy and I tackled the problem of a burrito surplus at the local mercado.

Robbie
Well hacked, Robbie!
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"