3D printing know how, applied to our vehicles.

Contribute, Battle-Scarred Repair Warriors!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

3D printing know how, applied to our vehicles.

Post by Jivermo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:55 am

I’m interested in using 3D printing, for making some of the parts that we have trouble finding for our vehicles, either in the quality out there, or because of part scarcity. A couple of examples that come to mind, are the rubber diaphragm in the AFM housing, and some of the rubber tubes that make up parts of the vacuum systems. I think there are many other items that could be produced in a higher quality than is currently available. Are there any participants here who know about 3D printers, and would care to comment about the feasibility of choosing, and producing an actual part? I think that this has some great possibilities for all of us.

cv66seabear
I'm New!

Re: 3D printing know how, applied to our vehicles.

Post by cv66seabear » Sun May 16, 2021 9:09 am

At the present time,(as far as I know), you are limited to creating hard plastic pieces, horn buttons, window crank inserts, other things like that. I have not seen a 3d material that is flexible yet, except for in the medical field. You can get ABS material and PLC.
Great thought though, and I imagine it's only a matter of time until they figure out Silicone...