Please be careful

Contribute, Battle-Scarred Repair Warriors!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Please be careful

Post by dtrumbo » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:30 pm

I guess this might be the single most important shop tip. I just got home from the funeral for a friend from my Volkswagen club. Please, please, please make sure you have adequate ventilation if you are working on your car with the engine running.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Please be careful

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:04 pm

Wow. So sorry to hear.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:40 am

dtrumbo wrote:I guess this might be the single most important shop tip. I just got home from the funeral for a friend from my Volkswagen club. Please, please, please make sure you have adequate ventilation if you are working on your car with the engine running.
I cannot imagine what scenario would keep me working on an engine if the exhaust was overpowering me.
Isn't there a moment where you feel dizzy or something and clear on out of there?

What a terrible thing. I am sorry to hear this.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:54 am

Having only heard the (limited) details at the memorial service, we wondered the same thing. It seems he was working on his Vanagon in the garage. When his wife came out to call him to dinner, she found him unconscious. We all wondered if somehow he was incapacitated in some way and then succumbed to the CO while in that state. If I hear more information, I'll give an update in the spirit of "don't let this happen to you".

To your point, Colin, and I'm assured this was not the case here, how do people commit suicide using this method? I can't imagine the mental anguish folks feel that they can override their brains natural instinct to save itself.
- Dick

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:33 am

That's just awful...I'm sorry to hear it dtrumbo. My condolences.
Amskeptic wrote:Isn't there a moment where you feel dizzy or something and clear on out of there?
I was working on our Type 3 once, running, with the garage door wide open, but with the tail end in first--no cross ventilation. A headache slowly crept up on me but I blamed it on other things; the garage door was wide open after all. As the headache steadily got more severe and I started getting dizzy, I realized what was going on and got out. I could imagine that if I were laying down under the car and hadn't noticed I'd been getting dizzy, I could've kept blaming the headache on something else and just worked right up until it was too late; confusion setting in (it didn't in my case) might make it so you don't realize or can't do anything about what's going on.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:24 pm

dtrumbo wrote:how do people commit suicide using this method? I can't imagine the mental anguish folks feel that they can override their brains natural instinct to save itself.
The deep well of despair can motivate a person to set it all up and give it a go. Then the physiological effects have to be overcome. If the despair is greater than the discomfort, then perhaps it will work.

This Vanagon guy, was the engine facing into the far wall, was it near the door? I am awash with questions.

Terrible to contemplate his wife finding him like that.
Colin

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:36 am

Amskeptic wrote:This Vanagon guy, was the engine facing into the far wall, was it near the door? I am awash with questions.

Terrible to contemplate his wife finding him like that.
Colin
I am awash as well but haven't yet found the appropriate avenue to delve deeper. At our next club meeting (11/5) I will ask his very dear friend who surely knows more of the details to share in the spirit of safety for others via tragic lessons learned.

I will also be taking my portable CO detector for show-and-tell.

Thanks ruckman101 and whc03grady for the condolences as well as the potential explanation for otherwise unexplainable events. To honor my friend, Brian Watson, I'm starting these discussions here as well as on other social media sites to make other shade tree (or garage) mechanics aware of the hidden danger.
- Dick

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:06 am

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend, dtrumbo. Be safe everyone.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

72Hardtop
Old School!

Post by 72Hardtop » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:43 am

1972 Westy tintop
2056cc T-4 - 7.8:1 CR
Weber 40mm Duals - 47.5idles, 125mains, F11 tubes, 190 Air corr., 28mm Vents
96mm AA Biral P/C's w/Hastings rings
42x36mm Heads (AMC- Headflow Masters) w/Porsche swivel adjusters
71mm Stroke
Web Cam 73 w/matched Web lifters
S&S 4-1 exhaust w/Walker 17862 quiet-pack
Pertronix SVDA w/Pertronix module & Flamethrower 40K coil (7* initial 28* total @3200+)
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:37 am

Yikes, to put the portrait of this person to the thread . . . so many billions of us each with our stories and friends.
Colin

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:32 am

To tie this up, I spoke with one of his very close friends at the latest meeting of our VW club. With hindsight fully focused and taking all the individual clues in complete context, it tragically seems that this may well have been self-inflicted.

In spite of this, let me use this opportunity to restate the spirit of my original post. If your working on your vehicle in an enclosed space with the engine on, please make sure you have adequate ventilation. Unless you don't want to.
- Dick

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:22 am

A very sad story as I met the "significant other" at a bus gathering. Safety is really important when working on any car, bus, lawnmower.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:34 am

dtrumbo wrote:To tie this up, I spoke with one of his very close friends at the latest meeting of our VW club. With hindsight fully focused and taking all the individual clues in complete context, it tragically seems that this may well have been self-inflicted.

In spite of this, let me use this opportunity to restate the spirit of my original post. If your working on your vehicle in an enclosed space with the engine on, please make sure you have adequate ventilation. Unless you don't want to.

Geeze, answer one question and inspire a thousand others. I had to ruefully laugh when I read your last sentence, thank-you for acknowledging the fiercesome and deadly truth of Free Will. While I am very glad that we have it, I am feeling for his family.
Colin