Running compressed air lines....

Contribute, Battle-Scarred Repair Warriors!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Running compressed air lines....

Post by Randy in Maine » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:40 pm

As some of you are aware, I am building a little garage here this fall for my "stuff". 40' x 28' (car area is 28' x 28', woodshop is 12' x 28'). 12' feet tall inside. Radiant floor heat. I am using those structural insulated panels, but the wall between the car area and the woodshop (made of 2" x 6"s) is structural because I want it to be pretty solid and is also where all of the wiring, PEX tubing plumbing, and air will be run. I will be having a serious meat air compressor with compressed air to the shop (blast cabinent + some bodyshop tools) and to the woodshop (nailers) + an outlet to the exterior wall for some tire filling and perhaps some outdoor sandblasting. The compressor puts out 175 PSI max with an 80 gallon tank.
I was going to run threaded 3/4" steel pipe for the air (only about 28 feet), but I got the new Summit catalogue and it shows this little set up... 1/2" hose with a working pressure of 100 psi. I would think for what I do, a 1/2" supply would be fine.

I would like to have about 6 air outlets in the shop, a couple in the woodshop, + one outside. I will likely have 2 air hoses on reels hanging off the ceiling in the shop part.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-9010KIT/

or the RapidAir set up (basically the same)

http://www.rapidairproducts.com/rapidair.asp

Do any of you guys have any thoughts on this set up? I have some time to decide as they will be just pouring the concrete in a couple of weeks.
79 VW Bus

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: Running compressed air lines....

Post by SlowLane » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:21 pm

Pretty neat, Randy. Mcmaster-Carr has the same RapidAir kit for less $, plus they sell extra parts if the kit doesn't have everything you need.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#general-purpose-hose/=etna00
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:23 am

I would run the steel 3/4" supply pipe for your supply run. No sense having that big compressor if you can't have
the supply at full efficiency.

Also, look at www.grainger.com for pneumatic accessories. They have a ton of nice quality stuff!
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:35 am

You also want enough distance from the compressor to the nearest air outlet for the air to fully cool so the water separator can do its job. The water must condense outta the air before the separator can work.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:14 pm

RSorak 71Westy wrote:You also want enough distance from the compressor to the nearest air outlet for the air to fully cool so the water separator can do its job. The water must condense outta the air before the separator can work.
What he say.
Colin
:withstupid:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:25 am

I have not had a lot of time to give it a ton of thought right now, but I am pretty convinced that I will likely be running some 3/4" threaded steel pipe (set up to drain back) and will be using some sort of water removal gizmo to keep as much water out of it as possible. Shut offs and regulators likely at most locations. I think the secret is to drain the water out often.

Compressor will likely be this one....likely overkill for me, but at least I will have plenty of air when I want it.

http://www.bendpak.com/compressors/air- ... V-501.aspx
79 VW Bus