Heater tube "Y" rusted away: Simple Fixes?

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jules
I'm New!

Heater tube "Y" rusted away: Simple Fixes?

Post by jules » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:17 pm

Hi,

The Y junction of heater tubes, where the right and left side heat streams meet, has almost completely rusted away underneath the (fiberglass?) insulation.

Anyone have and cheap solutions? For instance, in the past, to fix the long run center tube I've successfully employed stovepipe and clothes dryer tubing.

Before I go out and start aimlessly wandering around Home Depot and Lowes does anyone know of any commonly available home products I can use to fab up a new "Y"

thanks
jules
(various buses in various states of functionality)

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:32 pm

I think I would try to fashion a new one by bending up two sheets of aluminum to make top and bottom halves of the Y and then pop-riveting them together.

(My center pipe is currently 3 inch black PVC pipe with flexible plumbing couplings connecting it to the Y-pipe and distribution plenum!)
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:28 pm

vwlover77 wrote:I think I would try to fashion a new one by bending up two sheets of aluminum to make top and bottom halves of the Y and then pop-riveting them together.

(My center pipe is currently 3 inch black PVC pipe with flexible plumbing couplings connecting it to the Y-pipe and distribution plenum!)
The VW mechanic up the road tells me that guys used to make the Y out of black PVC fittings too, and that they can take the heat oK. Looking under mine at the time I didn't think there was room for much of a diameter of pipe though.
Haven't gone any furthur, but have the same dilemma of which you speak.
Heat someday,
Jim

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:42 am

I'd be worried about the off gassing of the PVC. Not the best smelling stuff when heated and those tubes get up above 120° if your heating system is in decent shape. I'd try to fab something out of HVAC piping first.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:44 am

Now that you mention it, maybe the black drain/waste/vent stuff is ABS. Not sure whether that makes a difference re: off gasing as I have a mental block about chemistry and plastic...

Jim

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:50 am

I would check the wrecking yards, Busted Bus, and theBusCo to see if they have that part.

http://bustedbus.com/Default.aspx

http://www.thebusco.com/

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

jules
I'm New!

Post by jules » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:47 pm

1 Piece of 3" Galvanized heat ducting
2 3" adjustable duct junctions
sheet metal screws
hose clamps
metalic tape

Total cost ~ $20

result, working junction:

It took a little bit of work getting the angles right and cutting the duct junctions correctly. Then I used a few sheet metal screws to join it all together and the metallic tape to seal the joints airtight.

progress.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:20 pm

jules wrote: It took a little bit of work getting the angles right and cutting the duct junctions correctly. Then I used a few sheet metal screws to join it all together and the metallic tape to seal the joints airtight.
That looks pretty serviceable. =D> Have you tested the heat yet?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

jules
I'm New!

Post by jules » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:58 pm

We're getting there. At idle I was able to confirm that warm air was making it to the front distribution pipe junction underneath the splash pan.

Looks like the 1600 in this bus is now leaking oil... will have to investigate and fix before I can take a long drive and really test the heat.

So many projects so little time.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:26 am

So many projects, so little time. I hear that.

I haven't even taken the moment it takes to shimmy under my bus to close my flaps that the less than robust heat that manages to enter into the equation can. And here it's our first onslaught of wintry freezing maybe snow weather. I'm real scared to remove the insulation on my center pipe. I've heard it may be the only thing of the assembly providing structural integrity.

Sigh.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:33 am

ruckman101 wrote:I'm real scared to remove the insulation on my center pipe. I've heard it may be the only thing of the assembly providing structural integrity.
Me too, when that happens it will be a whopper of a day. I think mine is a cardboard tube with insulation and plastic covering it. What has people used to replace that long tube? PVC pipe?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

jules
I'm New!

Post by jules » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:35 am

For replacement of the long run I'd recommend:

Inner tube: 3" Galvanized heat duct, two pieces, if I remember correctly.
Outer insulating layer: flexible 4" dryer exhaust hose.
An assortment of large clamps (two 4" and two 3")

Another under $20 repair.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:46 am

jules wrote:For replacement of the long run I'd recommend:

Inner tube: 3" Galvanized heat duct, two pieces, if I remember correctly.
Outer insulating layer: flexible 4" dryer exhaust hose.
An assortment of large clamps (two 4" and two 3")

Another under $20 repair.
Sounds like a heating and air conditioning installers easy task! Wait till I go to Lowe's to buy this and tell the salesman where it is going.

I appreciate you posting this fix, I will need to do this and now have a weekend Bus project lined up sometime in January.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

JereandJess
Getting Hooked!

Post by JereandJess » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:04 pm

satchmo wrote:I would check the wrecking yards, Busted Bus, and theBusCo to see if they have that part.

http://bustedbus.com/Default.aspx

http://www.thebusco.com/

Tim
We got the unit from Ken at thebusco.com for $45 I believe. I used an angle grinder to release the old rusted part out. There were a few (3 I believe) that needed to be ground off. It then just popped off, slid the new one in and had our neighbor tack weld it in.

Ken was even able to give us a green one, so it matches our sage green perfectly!

Finding the replacement for the long center tube is certainly harder. I like the idea posted above of the galvanized tubing. Would love to see someone do a photo documentation of the job....
Jeremy

~Jeremy (and Jessica)
77 Sage Green Westfalia 2.0 FI
78 Blue Landmark camper 2.0 FI
69 Beetle

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:18 am

Very clever. =D>
jules wrote: Image