Windshield Washer Fluid

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

thenexttownshend
I'm New!

Windshield Washer Fluid

Post by thenexttownshend » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:20 pm

Does anyone else have the windshield washer fluid system working on their vw bus? Ive never tried to fill mine up, putting pressure in the bottle with 1973 hoses didnt seem to be smart. Do they often leak? Are they hard to trouble shoot, or always fail in one spot?

I know most of us have plenty to think about other then something that can be done for free at a gas station. but hey why not
-steve - 73 bus

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:52 pm

mine does not work - I would love to restore it back to operational one day. Good idea for a thread - now you got me thinking about getting mine going.
-'72 Westy-

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:54 pm

Mine works. It's a pretty simple system really, it runs on air pressure.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:09 am

I tried to get mine working, but when I pressurized the system, it began leaking at the "switch" on the steering column. I didn't pursue it any further after seeing that.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:39 am

Mine leaked at the switch/valve too.
I replaced the whole shebang with an electric pump tank set-up and a momentary push button switch on the dash.
<$50 at Autozone.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:02 am

I'm not bragging, just lucky, but all three of my VW's washer systems work. They didn't when I got them, two of the three leaked. In my case the leaks were at the ends of the hoses that attach to the wiper switch. What happened was the very ends of the hose that expand around the barb on the switch dry out and crack. Sometimes if you just cut about a half an inch off the ends and push them back on, you're good to go.

If it ends up being the switch-mounted valve, I seem to recall these are still available from the usual parts places as well as the nozzles that mount on the outside of the car. Otherwise, you can find good used ones from places like The Bus Company or Busted Bus. Like Vdubtech said, it's a very simple system to troubleshoot, repair and maintain.

The washer system may seem like a luxury, but where I live, it's a necessity. All too often it rains just enough to put water on the windshield, but not enough to wipe cleanly if you turn the wipers on. A shot of washer fluid is needed to give the wipers enough liquid to give a nice clean wipe... and who doesn't enjoy that?
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!