79 Bus won't turn over

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

79 Bus won't turn over

Post by justgimmecoffee » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:58 pm

With all the spark plugs out, I should be able to turn the engine over by hand, correct? Not even with a 13mm socket on the end of the fan will get it to turn over.

stock '79 Westfalia bus with type IV engine; stock fuel injection; automatic transmission.

here's the issue: a few weeks ago, I took out the #3 plug to see what sort of shape its in. No problems, looks fine so I re-installed & started her up. Lots of loud banging, which I attributed to a dry lifter inside a very small garage. But I got to thinking about it and it seemed pretty loud, so I decided to try turning it over by hand, just to test.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:21 pm

How was it running before you removed the #3 plug? Any noises?

Yes, you should be able to turn it easily with a wrench if all 4 plugs are out.

If you can't, I'd start by popping the valve covers to make sure nothing is loose or otherwise out of place with the valvetrain.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:44 pm

It should definitely rotate against no compression with ease by hand. Does it rotate with the key at all?
-'72 Westy-

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 79 Bus won't turn over

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:57 pm

justgimmecoffee wrote:With all the spark plugs out, I should be able to turn the engine over by hand, correct? Not even with a 13mm socket on the end of the fan will get it to turn over.

stock '79 Westfalia bus with type IV engine; stock fuel injection; automatic transmission.

here's the issue: a few weeks ago, I took out the #3 plug to see what sort of shape its in. No problems, looks fine so I re-installed & started her up. Lots of loud banging, which I attributed to a dry lifter inside a very small garage. But I got to thinking about it and it seemed pretty loud, so I decided to try turning it over by hand, just to test.
Rotae the engine *backwards* with a wrench on the alternator nut and a finger ready to push down on the belt to keep a grip. If you cannot rotate the engine a full turn as measured at the pulley, you have a problem.

If you get a full turn with no identifiable obstruction, go straight to starter with plugs out and listen closely for reasons to stop cranking.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

Post by justgimmecoffee » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:32 pm

Success.
Was able to rotate the engine backwards, then forwards just fine. With plugs out, tried the key and she spins just fine.

I think the lifters need to be pumped up and in a very small garage it sounds loud enough to be very noticeable.