Squeaking while rolling

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

zabo
Old School!

Squeaking while rolling

Post by zabo » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:04 am

I have been noticing a squeaking the past two months or so.
We just got back from a nice thanksgiving camping trip- traveling about 500 miles.
By the time we got home it seemed to be getting a bit worse.

I haven't been able to recreate it with the wheels off the ground. It doesn't squeak all the time.
It seems to happen more after a longer drive when things have heated up a bit.
I only hear it at slow speeds, i can hear it when braking and when starting off in 1st gear.
i just replaced my rear brake shoes and that didn't result in any change.

I originally thought it could be the rear wheel bearings but now i'm also thinking about the possibility of a sticky caliper.

When replacing my rear brakes I noticed a bit of play when pulling on the hub- is this normal?
https://youtu.be/WdIlGASEPIE

Before we left I tried changing the rear wheel bearings but did not get too far - I couldn't get past the 46mm nut. :blackeye:
I tried all the tricks ive learned here- breaker bar with large pipe attached, the hammer tool etc.. I saw one of colin's post about using the bus power to break it free, but 8 times out of 10 the socket would slip off the nut, the other two times the bar would just drive itself down into my gravel driveway and the breaker would start to bend. I'll try a few more times before i look for a nearby shop that could break them loose for me.

60 beetle
78 bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Squeaking while rolling

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:35 am

zabo wrote:squeaking getting a bit worse.
only at slow speeds when braking and when starting off in 1st gear.
thinking about the possibility of a sticky caliper.

When replacing my rear brakes I noticed a bit of play when pulling on the hub- is this normal?
youtube

couldn't get past the 46mm nut 8 times out of 10 the socket would slip off the nut, the other two times the bar would just drive itself down into my gravel driveway and the breaker would start to bend.

Sticky caliper? Front of car? You need to narrow down the source of this sound. Is it steady or does it just chirp with the tire rotation.

With late-model buses, someone has to hold the breaker bar/socket firmly against the nut. You might want to read my rear wheel bearing article so you catch hints like:
Remove old cotter pin. Install 46mm (bus) 36mm (others) 1/2 drive socket, breaker bar, and big ol' cheater, or your trick hammerable big nut remover and loosen the nut. With the cheater pipe, I used the engine to loosen the nut in a very civilized gentle manner, just by sticking it in reverse gear for the left side, 1st gear for the right, and crept the clutch with little bursts of engine backwards or forwards no more than a foot or two. This method requires a short 1x4 board under the cheater pipe end atop another 2x4 board to act as the anti-dig-into-the-ground bearing. (note that I did not use any such things out in the forest) Newer buses with the skinny axle nut flats may not allow you to use the engine because the socket will just keep falling off. You may find the nut is on very very tight. Keep a patient persuasion going, and it will eventually let go.

Your video had too much camera movement to discern the hub movement.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:10 am

The squeaking seems to correlate with the tire rotation. - not steady just a squeak squeak squeak
Guess I need to get my son to hang out the side when driving to narrow it down a bit.

I did read your article but must have glossed over the need for boards.
Ill give that a shot.

I started cutting some rust out of the bottom corner of my sliding door this morning.
Too many projects :)
60 beetle
78 bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:38 pm

zabo wrote:The squeaking seems to correlate with the tire rotation. - not steady just a squeak squeak squeak
Guess I need to get my son to hang out the side when driving to narrow it down a bit.
Apply brakes when squeaking and see if squeaks change, i.e. diminish or amplify. Swerve right and left, see if squeaks change. Drag brakes lightly and see if squeaks change. Apply accelerator and see if squeaks change.
Then fix the problem.
Colin :blackeye:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:50 am

Just a suggestion. Take that cotter (or whatever it is called) pin out and tighten that 46mm nut. I only say this because I had a squeak and the tightening helped.
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:50 am

Just a suggestion. Take that cotter (or whatever it is called) pin out and tighten that 46mm nut. I only say this because I had a squeak and the tightening helped.
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup