Hesitations

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

wcfvw69
Old School!

Re: Hesitations

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri May 06, 2016 2:54 pm

tommu wrote: Then oddest thing happened. I put the advance vacuum hose on and after almost a minute the Idle slowed down a little and idle timing dropped to TDC. So I took the advance vacuum hose off again, it stayed at TDC, I revved a few times, and timing jumped back to 10 BTDC after a while it dropped back to TDC. So adv hose on or off it eventually just heads back down to TDC.

What do I make of that ?
Do you have a hand vacuum tester? If so, put it on both the retard nipple and then the vacuum nipple. Do they hold vacuum or bleed down? Second thing. Check the advance/retard pivot plate. Does it easily pivot both directions? You can pop the distributor cap off, remove the rotor and then use a spare vacuum hose. Hook it to the retard side of the can and suck on the hose. Does the pivot plate easily move? Do the same on the advance side of the can. Hook the vacuum hose up and suck on it to see how easily the plate moves.

It sure sounds like the rebuilt distributor's pivot plate is wonky or the vacuum can isn't working correctly.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Fri May 06, 2016 3:27 pm

I don't have anything to test vacuum unfortunately. But I notice this with our without vacuum hoses attached. Perhaps it is the weights. I'n considering just swapping out the distributer?

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Fri May 06, 2016 5:15 pm

I swapped to my backup DVDA distributer, this apparently from a '71 Bug. Timed to 28* full advance, idles with hoses on at around 5* ATDC. I was able to set idle to 1000RPM and was able to set the mixture with increased confidence. Driving is so much nicer, acceleration from stand still is smooth and effortless.

Thanks all for your support this week. I can't tell you how good it feels to be confident that I experiment a little with tuning without rendering the car underivable. I might even stop dreaming of a full electronic ignition! Except.. this distributer had a Petronix fitted. I'm not sure if it will survive Colin coming to town..

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 06, 2016 7:11 pm

tommu wrote:I swapped to my backup DVDA distributer, this apparently from a '71 Bug. Timed to 28* full advance, idles with hoses on at around 5* ATDC. I was able to set idle to 1000RPM and was able to set the mixture with increased confidence. Driving is so much nicer, acceleration from stand still is smooth and effortless.

Thanks all for your support this week. I can't tell you how good it feels to be confident that I experiment a little with tuning without rendering the car underivable. I might even stop dreaming of a full electronic ignition! Except.. this distributer had a Petronix fitted. I'm not sure if it will survive Colin coming to town..
Who is coming to town when you don't pay your deposit in time for today's May 6th Deposit Deadline as spelled out for weeks now in the 2016 Itinerary thread? :cyclopsani:
Colin :cyclopsani:
(congratulations on vanquishing the hesitatin' blues)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri May 06, 2016 10:08 pm

tommu wrote:I swapped to my backup DVDA distributer, this apparently from a '71 Bug. Timed to 28* full advance, idles with hoses on at around 5* ATDC. I was able to set idle to 1000RPM and was able to set the mixture with increased confidence. Driving is so much nicer, acceleration from stand still is smooth and effortless.

Good news for sure. I bet that "rebuilt" distributor is a worn out piece of junk that left their shop that way. I know I've read of others having issues w/that companies rebuilt distributors.. Someone suggested they were the GEX of distributor rebuilders.

Overall, this experience has provided you some good troubleshooting skills and raised your confidence level as well.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Fri May 06, 2016 10:58 pm

Amskeptic wrote:

Who is coming to town when you don't pay your deposit in time for today's May 6th Deposit Deadline as spelled out for weeks now in the 2016 Itinerary thread? :cyclopsani:
Colin :cyclopsani:
(congratulations on vanquishing the hesitatin' blues)
Thank you! And sorry for not transferring deposit sooner. That's done. But I read the date was May 15th rather than May 6th?
Deposit is $250.00 PayPal <78vw2000@earthlink.net> by May 15th

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Fri May 06, 2016 10:58 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:

Good news for sure. I bet that "rebuilt" distributor is a worn out piece of junk that left their shop that way. I know I've read of others having issues w/that companies rebuilt distributors.. Someone suggested they were the GEX of distributor rebuilders.

Overall, this experience has provided you some good troubleshooting skills and raised your confidence level as well.
It has that. It's given me inspiration again.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat May 07, 2016 7:32 am

tommu wrote:I read the date was May 15th rather than May 6th?
Deposit is $250.00 PayPal <78vw2000@earthlink.net> by May 15th
I have summarily shot my PR team. We cannot have confusion out there in the public common.

That said, your deposit has not followed the protocol spelled out on the Welcome To The 2016 Itinerary thread,
WHEREUPON:
THE PROCESS
1. PM me here on the Itinerant Air-Cooled site with:
a) your questions,
b) your List of Concerns from most-important to least important,
c) a self-assessment of your skills or lack thereof,
d) a brief description of our work environment,
e) what the dream or plan is for your Volkswagen.

2. I respond with Edited List and Preliminary Parts Guess

3. On the forum, YOU keep an eye on dates filling in and the locations of where these dates are filling in. Then you provide me a couple of feasible dates. Once we have agreed upon a date, you send in your PayPal deposit to:
< 78vw2000@earthlink.net >

In the comment box you SHALL provide your username, real name, address, phone number.

4. A red D next to your name is our contractual obligation to each other. I will be there on the appointed day at 9:00AM petitioning the house staff for a cup of coffee. I generally refuse to engage in the niceties of confirmation phone calls unless I expect to be more than 15 minutes late, a rare occurence, right Mitch?
Colin
So, please PERSONAL MESSAGE me your address/contact number, and be sure not to fix anything else on your car or I will have nothing to do by the time I get there.
Colin

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Sat May 07, 2016 1:27 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
tommu wrote: be sure not to fix anything else on your car or I will have nothing to do by the time I get there.
Colin

One thing you need to do for sure Colin is invest 10 minutes and autopsy that POS distributor. I'm dying to know what's wrong with it inside and how sloppy and worn out it is!

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Sat May 07, 2016 5:39 pm

Amskeptic wrote: So, please PERSONAL MESSAGE me your address/contact number, and be sure not to fix anything else on your car or I will have nothing to do by the time I get there.
Colin
Sorry. I am bad at reading instructions.

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Sat May 07, 2016 5:40 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
tommu wrote: be sure not to fix anything else on your car or I will have nothing to do by the time I get there.
Colin

One thing you need to do for sure Colin is invest 10 minutes and autopsy that POS distributor. I'm dying to know what's wrong with it inside and how sloppy and worn out it is!
I can take it apart and photograph it as I go if you like? We can do an interactive online autopsy.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Sat May 07, 2016 8:26 pm

tommu wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Colin

I can take it apart and photograph it as I go if you like? We can do an interactive online autopsy.
Why not! It would be interesting to see what you find. :bounce:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 08, 2016 7:11 am

wcfvw69 wrote: One thing you need to do for sure Colin is invest 10 minutes and autopsy that POS distributor. I'm dying to know what's wrong with it inside and how sloppy and worn out it is! It would be interesting to see what you find. :bounce:
A distributor that has worn enough to open up the centrifugal timing range is not going to be exciting. No broken bones, no blood, no twisted hunks of rended metal, just imperceptible wear on the posts where the weights pivot. The solution for a worn distributor's opened up pivots is merely to bend the stops imperceptibly. This narrows the range back down to where you have a nice 7.5-28 range.

Wcfvw69, did you follow the Life and Times of the Road Warrior over on theSamba? It had an original 588,238 mile distributor. Around year twenty five or so, I turned the bushings 90* to give the points the slop-less sides of the somewhat ovalized bushings, and I bent the weight posts a couple of times.
These original distributors are good for the life of the car if they are kept . . . "preventatively maintained".
Colin