1979 CA Bus - No Start

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Re: 1979 CA Bus - No Start

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:26 pm

Your symptoms indicate a dirty or bad connection, probably at the positive battery terminal. Take off the terminal and clean the inside of it where it contacts the battery post. If this is not it keep looking, as somewhere in the large wires going to starter, there IS a dirty or loose connection.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:27 pm

The ignition lights come on, but when I turn the key, there's a single click, then the lights go out and she will not start again.
i would say from the 'single click'..probably starter solenoid malfunction or bad connection at starter

you could try this volt drop test: http://www.excelauto.com/online/Tech.d/strvdt.html
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:36 pm

dingo wrote:
The ignition lights come on, but when I turn the key, there's a single click, then the lights go out and she will not start again.
i would say from the 'single click'..probably starter solenoid malfunction or bad connection at starter

you could try this volt drop test: http://www.excelauto.com/online/Tech.d/strvdt.html
I'm with you here; I had a similar periodic no-start issue that seems to have been cured merely by removing and reattaching the 12v to the solenoid. I didn't even clean the contacts. But I had the same issues ~ click, no start/no turn. Then randomly, it would start. Unnerving, but easy to fix.

Best,

Michael L

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:25 am

Lanval wrote:
dingo wrote:

I'm with you here; I had a similar periodic no-start issue that seems to have been cured merely by removing and reattaching the 12v to the solenoid. I didn't even clean the contacts. But I had the same issues ~ click, no start/no turn. Then randomly, it would start. Unnerving, but easy to fix.

Best,

Michael L
Also, if you are going to do this repair, please use DeOx anti-corrosion gel. Florida on the coast is tough on electrical system connections. Every single electrical chore that you do, even replacing fuses, apply a little dab of DeOx to the contact surfaces. When oxygen is not allowed, great things happen.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles