77 FI 2.0 Westfalia trouble starting when cold.

Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

JereandJess
Getting Hooked!

77 FI 2.0 Westfalia trouble starting when cold.

Post by JereandJess » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:28 am

This bus has always been an easy starter. Even after sitting for 6 months to evade the perils of sand/salt on New England roads.

Went to take it out the other day, after sitting for about 2 weeks without running and it started right up. Went for a drive, parked it for the night in the driveway. Packed it up for the Labor Day week camping trip to Cape Cod.

Next morning wouldn't start. Crank and crank and crank and nothing. No indication it had any life in it.

Checked fuel pump via the test port on the 3/4 fuel rail, and fuel was coming out when pump on. Didn't put the pressure gauge on it though.

Checked spark from the coil, a little orange/yellow, but not bad.

Checked point gap, .16-.17 or so. Seems right.

Statically timed it to 7.5 btdc. I really didn't have to adjust it at all. It was spot on, but went through the motions just to be thorough.

Tried to start it again, it started. Rechecked timing with strobe and locked it down at 7.5 btdc and 28 at 3200rpm.

Got in the bus and off we went to the Cape. Bus ran perfectly. Stopped to get gas, started right back up on one crank. Stopped again no problems.

Parked the bus at the campsite. Next morning.......SAME THING HAPPENED. Wouldn't start. Crank and crank and no signs of life

OK, doesn't like to start when cold. Cold start valve? I pulled off the connector, put the test lamp in it and it flickered. Good sign. Put the ohm meter on the CSV and got 6 or .6 ohm, which ever the book says is good....I can't remember now. Either way it tested OK according to the book. I did not take the CSV out to test it into a can though.

Did all the things I did the day before outlined above. Nothing.

Got a can of starter fluid from a fellow camper. Shot some in the air intake and it kicked over for a second. But wouldn't start. Interesting. Kept looking into the engine hoping for a sign, or to see something that was not attached, vac hose or similar.....Nothing.

Finally went back up front and it started.

I am perplexed and hoping you folks can give me some ideas to test/try as I am guessing when we attempt to go home on Friday after not moving the bus all week, it won't start.

Thanks!

Jeremy
Jeremy

~Jeremy (and Jessica)
77 Sage Green Westfalia 2.0 FI
78 Blue Landmark camper 2.0 FI
69 Beetle

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Re: 77 FI 2.0 Westfalia trouble starting when cold.

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:42 am

Your fuel pump isn't pumping at 1st.....Then it's deciding to work I bet. As to the cause.....could be double relay or the pump.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:26 am

yep, I agree and maybe check that fuse connector laying on the left that powers the backup lites and the dual relay. If its corroded it won't start.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

JereandJess
Getting Hooked!

Post by JereandJess » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:49 am

When I lift the lid of the AFM and move the flapper, the fuel pump kicks right on when the ignition key is turned and the flapper moved. I don't ::THINK:: it's the fuel pump because of that. Double relay.....didn't check it. Didn't put the spare in and try it since I was so focused on the fact that it starts fine after running for a while and doesn't start fine after sitting for a while.

Can't hurt to switch out the double relay I guess....

I also thought about fuel supply, and wondered about rust in the tank, but since it ran without even a hiccup for 2.5 hours on the way to the cape, I don't think there is stuff in the tank...

Still perplexed!
Jeremy

~Jeremy (and Jessica)
77 Sage Green Westfalia 2.0 FI
78 Blue Landmark camper 2.0 FI
69 Beetle

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:20 pm

JereandJess wrote:it starts fine after running for a while and doesn't start fine after sitting for a while.
Go under the bus. Look at the starter solenoid. There is a red/black wire with a spade terminal taking instruction from the ignition switch. This is *power in*. There is a red/white wire with a spade terminal that goes either on a different spade or is piggy-backed to the red/black wire, it doesn't matter. This wire is small and important. It powers both the cold start valve AND the fuel pump during cranking ONLY. It energizes the fuel pump side of the double relay. Look at my double relay write up for terminal numbers and locations.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles