Find/Fix/Report Back

Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

Ronin10
Getting Hooked!

Re: 77 Westy high rpm hesitation

Post by Ronin10 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:33 am

GreenWesty83 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:24 pm
Thanks for the heads up! Are there any other units that are known better quality?
Not that I can speak to
Oscar: 1976 Sage Green Bus, Stock Motor, Solid Lifters, Manual Transaxle

JPower6210
I'm New!

Post by JPower6210 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:33 am

Hi- I am admittedly a neophyte at all of this- and you have the experts weighing in. I did however suffer some similar problems when I first got my bus. Got it all tuned up, bought a pertronix unit, installed and had some issues at the high end. As an experiment, I went back to points and the problem disappeared. I really like the Pertronix set up, and run it in a couple of other vehicles, but since the points fixed the issue for me, I have been lazy and stuck with the points for now. I will try the Pertronix again, but it's low on the list.

Just a thought....

JP
1976 Chrome Yellow Westy - "Tallulah"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:46 am

JPower6210 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:33 am
Hi- I am admittedly a neophyte at all of this- and you have the experts weighing in. I did however suffer some similar problems when I first got my bus. Got it all tuned up, bought a pertronix unit, installed and had some issues at the high end. As an experiment, I went back to points and the problem disappeared. I really like the Pertronix set up, and run it in a couple of other vehicles, but since the points fixed the issue for me, I have been lazy and stuck with the points for now. I will try the Pertronix again, but it's low on the list.

Just a thought....

JP
There is nothing lazy about using points. There is devotion to the gestalt. I think you may be on to something in suggesting a brief run with points. I have had a couple of weird Pertronix symptoms with customers, including high-speed misfire.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . . 111,155 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,820 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 103,007 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,570 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 78,885 miles

GreenWesty83
I'm New!

Post by GreenWesty83 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:15 pm

JPower6210 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:33 am

Just a thought....

JP
I did have the issue with points at first. When the issue initially appeared during a road trip points were installed. I then installed new Pertronix hoping that would address the issue. It did not. However I don’t believe I ever tried NEW points and condenser.
I still have to put three more clicks on the cog and try that as well.
1977 Sage Westy
1968 Blue Bug