411/412"s - Any Left??

411 / 412 ~ 2-dr, 4-dr

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hotshot
I'm New!

411/412"s - Any Left??

Post by hotshot » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:18 pm

Hey, everybody, this forum hasn't had any anybody talking about the 411/412's for a couple of years. :scratch: I have purchased a 73 412 out of a barn (not kidding) and am trying to get it fixed up for my son to drive. :bounce: The car has had the the fuel enjection taken out & converted to a weber carb (UGG), so am looking for that complete assembly to revert it back if possible. I also need the interior, the seats and carpet are shot, seat frames are good but thats as good as it gets. :pale: Does anybody have a 412 that has a bad engine or trans that they want to get rid of?? Let me know, if anybody knows where I can find another car for parts or I can buy another & use the one I've got for parts. :pukeleft: They are super hard to find parts for, the guys that have the NOS parts are making a living off the sale of parts. So help if you can, Thanks to all - Hotshot @ Canby,OR
Constantly improving my 56 bug, always waiting for the sun in our lovely Oregon.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:55 am

If its a Djet Fi car (should be) the FI is the same as the 914 1.7's. Tons of complete systems can be had on the 914world.com site in the classifed. Everything will swap over to your car.

Carpet and seats can be redone by any decent shop or look at Sewfine's catalog.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:14 am

Hiya Hot,

They do show up from time to time. We were discussing (with Misszora) the possibility of looking at T4 last year. That one was on the local Craigslist. I imagine it's really just a matter of keeping your eyes peeled. I'm sure if anyone local to the Portland area here on the IAC stumbles across one for sale we'll give you the heads-up.

Got pictures of your project?
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

Post by justgimmecoffee » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:31 am

They are super rare and every VW shop out there will tell you not to put any time or money into it. Don't listen to them. The 411's & 12's were the designed as the high end ACVWs and were probably excellent cars of their time. They also share similarities and parts with the Porsche 914, which really gets me- an luxury sedan with the same powerplant, etc. as sprinty sports car?

I have a '72 4 door sitting out in a field near Bend that I'm never going to get to. I'll PM you with details and maybe you can rescue it.

Here's pics:

http://spot4m.com

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:42 am

I had a '71 411 and it was great. Same deal with the PO pulling the FI and installing a progressive. I regret letting mine go.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:35 am

justgimmecoffee wrote:They are super rare and every VW shop out there will tell you not to put any time or money into it. Don't listen to them. The 411's & 12's were the designed as the high end ACVWs and were probably excellent cars of their time. They also share similarities and parts with the Porsche 914, which really gets me- an luxury sedan with the same powerplant, etc. as sprinty sports car?

I have a '72 4 door sitting out in a field near Bend that I'm never going to get to. I'll PM you with details and maybe you can rescue it.

Here's pics:

http://spot4m.com
My Boss back then bought a 412 SW brand new so I drove it alot. Auto tranny killed the performance and a 4 or 5 speed would have been the ticket but most USA ones were auto's. 80hp with the Djet so it had decent power and it was very comfortable to drive around. My Boss drove it everywhere until he went to a larger van.
Geoff

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:45 am

Barry that website is really funny. You're crazy of course.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:51 am

I have a buddy here with a 412. Doesn't run and he wants to get rid of it. It looks pretty stock in the engine bay, and the interior is decent. PM me if you are interested and I will get him in touch with you or vice versa.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

hotshot
I'm New!

411 & 412's

Post by hotshot » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:33 pm

Thanks guy's to all of you, I will try and get the cars picked up as soon as I can - you need to let me know what, when and where. My son will really apprectiate everything you guys are doing. We will keep a couple of these old jewels on the road somehow. Thanks again, Hotshot. =D>
Constantly improving my 56 bug, always waiting for the sun in our lovely Oregon.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 411 & 412's

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 02, 2010 8:48 am

hotshot wrote:Thanks guy's to all of you, I will try and get the cars picked up as soon as I can - you need to let me know what, when and where. My son will really apprectiate everything you guys are doing. We will keep a couple of these old jewels on the road somehow. Thanks again, Hotshot. =D>
Good for you! Seeing the jewel in 411/412s. Go for it, and let me drive what you manage to land. . . :bounce:
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Sun May 02, 2010 10:25 am

There's a mostly complete 412 in a junkyard not too far from me. Even had the engine if I remember correctly. If you'd like me to take a closer look let me know. I'm not too familiar with them (or any FI stuff for that matter) but if you give me some direction I'd be happy to pull parts for you.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon May 03, 2010 3:17 am

Parts to pull off a 412 are all the FI stuff, isn't there a bellows like the type 3?, the HE's etc...
Geoff

vdubzen
Getting Hooked!

Post by vdubzen » Mon May 03, 2010 12:57 pm

hotshot, just buy this..........

viewtopic.php?t=8176
1960 Karmann Ghia
1968 Deluxe Microbus
1973 Super Beetle
1974 Beetle

president, AAAVWclub.com

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon May 03, 2010 1:23 pm

Bleyseng wrote:isn't there a bellows like the type 3?
Yes there are. If you end up needing them I have 2 for a squareback & 1 for a fast back. Got them when I had a 411. I also have some of the FI parts & the "Y" for the heater fan which is usually missing.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

hotshot
I'm New!

412 Fuel Injection

Post by hotshot » Mon May 03, 2010 10:00 pm

Does anyone have pics. of the fuel injection and components so Sped372 and me can get a visual and maybe a description of what he needs to pull off the junkyard 412. :pirate: