Failed Oregon DEQ again.

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Failed Oregon DEQ again.

Post by Sluggo » Wed May 04, 2011 11:32 am

Took my test yesterday. Failed twice. First the HC was 1147 then it was 1462 (should be 220 with a Cat & 300 without). Then I went around the corner and tinkered with things. Advanced the timing, leaned it out and bumped up the idle. HC readings were even worse at 2200.

Not sure what to do here. Halsey has a deal where they put your Bus on a scope and set everything so that it will pass. It costs $55-$70 depending on how long it takes. Rather figure it out myself but I need to do this quickly as my tabs have just expired.

Must have been training day at the DEQ because some lady was there checking every detail of my Bus. Pulled the gas cap (luckily didn't know to look for the restrictor), Figured out the Bus was a CA model and started looking for emissions equipment. I don't have any but luckily they thought the Heat Exchanger was a Cat & EGR. Either way, didn't pass.

Suggestions?
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Re: Failed Oregon DEQ again.

Post by IFBwax » Wed May 04, 2011 12:34 pm

My experience is that high HCs usually means too lean. You lean it out until you hit the sweet spot with the CO but then if you go too far, the HCs start climbing. That's been my experience anyway. What were your Co emissions. I'm betting pretty low. It sounds like you don't have a cat right? If you're supposed to have one, that's one they usually catch. I've tried. Also some stations I really think are easier to pass at than others. I take mine to the one at Sunset HWY and Cornelius pass road. M and M automotive are good guys and can help get you there. They are at 211th and TV Highway in Aloha. Nick is the owner there. When was the last time you did a tune up? Unfortunately the conditions in which need to be under in order to pass are razor thin. I would opt for taking to someone with an analyzer otherwise you can't be completely sure if you're fixing it or not.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu May 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Passed!

Checked my valves even though I had done them a few weeks ago when I installed new rings. Apparently I had thought 2 & 4 were at a different location on the pulley. Embarrassing! Also replaced my wires. Replaced the cap & rotor too even though I also just replaced them a few weeks ago. The one's available at O'Reilly were Chinese so that's what I used before. I went & got some Bosch parts at Halsey. Also bumped up my idle and increased my fuel mixture.

Went to a differnt tester this time. The one on NE33rd. First test was HC 437 & CO 2.7124. Tester decided that since most Buses didn't come with a Cat chances are mine didn't either (wink) and bypassed that. Went around the corner and retarded my timing to 4*BTDC and and increased my mixture a little more. Tested again and the HC passed but my CO was even higher. Went around the corner again and leaned it out a little. Passed! Final readings were HC 171, CO 0.7075 & CO+CO2 13.2. Bus is also running amazingly well. Even more power & response than it had the other day.

Thanks for the suggestions Wayne!
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Thu May 05, 2011 12:43 pm

B-B-B-B-Bitching!!!

That's good news, especially considering how nice the guy seemed to be about it.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu May 05, 2011 2:30 pm

Sluggo wrote:Passed!
right the frack on....
Sluggo wrote:
Checked my valves even though I had done them a few weeks ago when I installed new rings. Apparently I had thought 2 & 4 were at a different location on the pulley. Embarrassing!

Thanks for the suggestions Wayne!

I've never done that before.... :blackeye:
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Thu May 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Doesn't it feel great!!!! It's a kind of high for me every time.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Thu May 05, 2011 2:37 pm

Good for you...
This thread makes me grateful I do not have those test here.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:40 pm

And this is why I'm highly considering registering my bus as a special interest vehicle the next time tags are due. It's not a daily driver any more and all I use it for is camping with our "club".
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu May 05, 2011 2:47 pm

It's a clique...

We can start calling it a club though. I'll collect dues next meeting....
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Thu May 05, 2011 2:55 pm

Jasan.. I am extremely interested in that. When you find out about it would you pass me the details? This actually deserves its own thread.

Frank Bama

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Thu May 05, 2011 4:32 pm

1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:02 pm

chachi wrote:is the year actually rolling in oregon? the woman at the DMV said no, but i want the answer to actually be yes.

Nope. Used to be but now anything newer than '75 is required to pass smog.

Here are the Oregon guidelines for registering as a special interest vehicle.... It appears that once you are approved for special interest you are no longer required to pass smog and no longer have a bi-yearly registration fee, just a one time fee for which you get one plate. You do have to abide by the "rules" however. My thought is if you get pulled over how do they prove that you aren't going camping with your club? Are they going to follow you out into the woods? An easy "club" member card wouldn't be hard to make up.

http://www.oregonplates.com/oregonlaw.htm

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehicle/ ... ml#special

Article 805.020 and 805.030...
http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/805.html

Here is the application for registering as a special interest vehicle...

http://www.odot.state.or.us/forms/dmv/6577.pdf
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Thu May 05, 2011 5:08 pm

It seems also that you have to be able to drive it once in a while just to charge up the battery or test out tweaks during a tune up. I'm going to do that. It would save me soooo much hassle. Let's get working on the cards!!!! Who's an artist among us.. Hmm. Seems like there is someone...

Frank Bama

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 06, 2011 7:50 am

IFBwax wrote:It seems also that you have to be able to drive it once in a while just to charge up the battery or test out tweaks during a tune up. I'm going to do that. It would save me soooo much hassle. Let's get working on the cards!!!! Who's an artist among us.. Hmm. Seems like there is someone...
Yeah, like I know?
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Fri May 06, 2011 1:43 pm

So what should we call this club? The "Portland Metropolitan Informal Transporter Association"?
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!