More hubcap art

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:43 pm

chitwnvw wrote:That's a depressing movie.
Never seen the movie, but perhaps I need to now. And really, that was not the vein I was going for, really! I was looking for more 60's symbols, and adding new touches to them. Like the dove in this raindrop:

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:03 pm

It's a 60's movie or at least a Vietnam movie, might have been from the early 70's.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:44 pm

Well, when I ran out of hubcaps to paint, I went to EvilBay, and shame on me, I soon went to Wal-Mart and got a Starbucks espresso to drown my guilt. Well OK just the EvilBay part, and in a hubcap frenzy I went beyond ACVW's and got some old Ford ones as well. Silly to say in my weird niche painting arena, I stepped out of my norm. Any idea what these may have been on?

Or these? Wouldn't this be a Pontiac?

I have few ideas what to do with any of these.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:21 pm

You are dead to me.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:25 am

LiveonJG wrote:You are dead to me.

-John
Because these are Ford and Pontiac? I did get 2 60's big dome ACVW caps out of the deal too. Is it because of EvilBay? I really don't like them, but these were cheap cheap cheap, and not made in China either.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:00 pm

Sylvester wrote:
LiveonJG wrote:You are dead to me.

-John
Because these are Ford and Pontiac
I suppose if you were really dead to me I wouldn't have responded.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:34 pm

LOL =D>
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:00 pm

The latest, I think these are 50's Pontiac hubcaps. You can see what they looked like above. These are going on the wall downstairs, I think I am getting presentable.

I think my next attempt will be an adaptation of the GE logo, like this, but without the GE in there, or ELO!:

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:49 pm

Sylvester wrote:The latest, I think these are 50's Pontiac hubcaps. You can see what they looked like above. These are going on the wall downstairs, I think I am getting presentable.

I think my next attempt will be an adaptation of the GE logo, like this, but without the GE in there, or ELO!:

I looked around and those are not Poncho hubcaps. At least they are not from '48-up. Pontiac arrowhead looks like this. The older ones are red.

I have no idea what those are from.
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:40 am

gmag69 wrote:I looked around and those are not Poncho hubcaps. At least they are not from '48-up. Pontiac arrowhead looks like this. The older ones are red.

I have no idea what those are from.
That is interesting, anyone have any idea where they came from?

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:24 am

Not a clue, I searched around a bit last night, and found nothing. The arrowheads would indicate Pontiac but I couldn't find that crest.

How permanent is that paint?

-John
Keep it acoustic.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:52 am

Hey Sly, I think your version is awesome. Looks Native American :flower:
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:17 am

LiveonJG wrote:Not a clue, I searched around a bit last night, and found nothing. The arrowheads would indicate Pontiac but I couldn't find that crest.

How permanent is that paint?

-John
Holy crap I can see it now, "Part time junk painter paints over priceless Tucker Torpedo hubcaps!" Only the paint in the crests is permanent, enamel. The outside is latex. Thanks for the compliments Z, that scheme was intentional, each cap was painted with in succession with lighter colors. In person, they look deep.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:59 pm

I spent a good hour on the web looking for those caps. I can't find them anywhere. I'll let you know if I find something. I like a good mystery. =D>
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:30 pm

I ran out of time, but here's what you do. Google "American Car Manufacturers 1945" or whatever year you'd like to narrow down to.
Save list.

Select Google Image and search for each listed
"(type in manufacturer) crest" .

What a pile. . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles