Crazy thing

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: Crazy thing

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:22 pm

Had a '71 bus in college with a dual port. The fuel shut off valve (i believe that's what it was called....it's been 30 years. screwed into the manifold between the carb and the engine.) vibrated loose creating a hellacious vacuum leak. Found a twig of the appropriate diameter, and twisted it into the hole ....talk about a hippie fix. drove it around like that for a few weeks before I found the fuel shut off valve sitting on the engine, and fixed it appropriately.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:02 pm

I have no crazy stories - fixed my throttle cable back together with a hairpin. Forgot about it until my mechanic mentioned it. :drunken:
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:57 pm

Emily's Owner wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:02 pm
I have no crazy stories - fixed my throttle cable back together with a hairpin. Forgot about it until my mechanic mentioned it. :drunken:
Well done! I've had my share of "temporary" fixes that have lasted longer than some of my "permanent" fixes. I'm almost scared sometimes to actually fix something good and proper, it that temporary repair is doing a good job and shows no signs of failing.

I guess that's true of a lot of relationships.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:53 pm

A friend's Pertronix went out on the way to a car show… I had Kettering supplies, and breath mints, but no support bracket.

Nobody was late to the car show!
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:09 am

asiab3 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:53 pm
A friend's Pertronix went out on the way to a car show… I had Kettering supplies, and breath mints, but no support bracket.

Nobody was late to the car show!
Robbie
Nice job Robbie.

After seeing that it occured to me that car shows (well, VW car shows anyways) ought to have a "Best Road-side MacGyver Repair" category.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:21 pm

Good grief I need to get on this site more! A year later and another story. Actually I will finish the one I started this with, the Doormobile I was trying to get home with a 5 gallon gas can instead of a leakproof tank. Down the road from the recent owner with my friend following me in hit fairly new pickup truck. 10 minutes in and Doormobile dies. Open engine lid and it is HOT! Engine is so worn out it overheats and dies. So for an hour I drive until it dies, then pull over and let it cool. In the end my work was closer than home so we made for that. I figured the Doormobile would run no more than 10 minutes before dying. The last leg of the run to work was North Atlanta, on a Friday afternoon. 10 minutes from work I pulled over and let it cool off. Maybe five minutes in the last run, the Doormobile dies in wall to wall traffic. No way to pull off the road with the curb. I get out amid honking and cursing, my friend behind me motions to get back in the Bus. With his truck he pushed me down the road to a nearby parking lot. It chewed up both our bumpers but it worked. I waited until much later and with no traffic coasted downhill the last of the trip, engine dead. After that I had the Doormobile towed and sold it not long after.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:22 pm

Good grief I need to get on this site more! A year later and another story. Actually I will finish the one I started this with, the Doormobile I was trying to get home with a 5 gallon gas can instead of a leakproof tank. Down the road from the recent owner with my friend following me in hit fairly new pickup truck. 10 minutes in and Doormobile dies. Open engine lid and it is HOT! Engine is so worn out it overheats and dies. So for an hour I drive until it dies, then pull over and let it cool. In the end my work was closer than home so we made for that. I figured the Doormobile would run no more than 10 minutes before dying. The last leg of the run to work was North Atlanta, on a Friday afternoon. 10 minutes from work I pulled over and let it cool off. Maybe five minutes in the last run, the Doormobile dies in wall to wall traffic. No way to pull off the road with the curb. I get out amid honking and cursing, my friend behind me motions to get back in the Bus. With his truck he pushed me down the road to a nearby parking lot. It chewed up both our bumpers but it worked. I waited until much later and with no traffic coasted downhill the last of the trip, engine dead. After that I had the Doormobile towed and sold it not long after.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.