A FrankenVanagon from DVNP

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

glasseye
IAC Addict!

A FrankenVanagon from DVNP

Post by glasseye » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:15 pm

Hey, boys. Long time, no see.

Frito's been treating me so well, I've not had a VW thought for ages. Until last week, that is, in Death Valley. I'd stopped for lunch when this pulled up nearby. Something that will offend the snot outta Colin, no doubt. But hey. It's America. Land of the free and home of the individualist.

The owner, a sliver of a man about my age but half my weight, was only too happy to give me a tour. Here he is, inspecting Frito's interior.

He was on his way to The Racetrack, one of the more remote areas of Death Valley. Judging by the overall look of the vehicle, he could deal with pretty well any emergency that developed out there. He said that his Vanagon was on its second Subaru replacement engine, something he'd done himself.

He tows it behind his motorhome, which was currently docked in Beatty. Check out that desert lighting! He counted up the wattage for me and it came to something over 700W! Ghaaa! I hope the alternator's up to the task. He didn't seem worried. Looks to me it'd slow the vehicle down some, just from the reverse thrust of photons.

That's not dust, that's rattle-can whitewalls. He'd sprayed the tires with white paint to "protect" them from the desert sun.,

Anyway, he's out there, doing what we all love to do. Road Trips!

In other news, Deerhunter and his son joined me in Eureka Dunes last week for two days of Scotch testing, dunes hiking and world problem solving. We were successful at just two of the above. This world seems beyond solving. :scratch:

130,000 miles and eight years later, Frito (my 04 Merc Sprinter) has been a flawless performer since I picked him up in Mesa, AZ with 9800 miles. He's had nothing in the way of repairs except consumables and standard maintenance items and he's taken me across the continent many times with comfort, grace and style. Well, comfort, anyway.

Here's our campsite (lower right) at Eureka Dunes last week.

Happy trails and good compression to all.

Peter
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: A FrankenVanagon from DVNP

Post by Jivermo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:28 pm

Too much! Ran into him last year at this time in DV. His name is Bob. He’s an acquaintance of a friend of mine, who lives in his Vanagon. We are speaking with him here. His motor home is painted in the exact same color scheme as his van.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TnDuaBcKQNGgm1aT2

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:33 pm

Heh. "It's a small world after all...."
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:26 am

That's awesome. I'm going to show my wife that and tell her it's my new retirement plan. :joker:

Good to hear from you, Peter.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:58 am

If I would lay off the (current food fetish of the day), I would be as spry as that guy who I might end up looking like.

I am fine with a Subaru engine in a Vanagon. I wonder if all the blocked off vents might have anything to do with the engines expiring on him.

Slow Lane must enjoy that dashboard/cockpit.

Yeah, so here is my traveling cockpit in the midst of a 23,000 mile sojourn:

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles