PLEASE READ : UPDATE 2018!

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

PLEASE READ : UPDATE 2018!

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:02 pm

Photobucket is dropping the hammer and demanding usurious annual payment to host third party pictures.

This entire Itinerant Air-Cooled site could be rendered useless when they break the links to our thousands of images. I could and would pay the new $399.99 annual hosting fee, but we have many other posters here whose archives are going to have an ugly Photobucket broken link image.

Please, can anyone here walk me through a home made solution to hosting photographs that can be linked here. I do not want to rely on these ever more greedy arrogant CEOs who have no idea the carnage they are unleashing upon the internet universe. I don't even trust some of the alternatives that have been offered. They could look at Photobucket and just decide to change their Terms Of Service as abruptly. Many many automotive sites are going to be littered with dead links.

Hayalp!
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

zabo
Old School!

Re: PLEASE READ : JULY 11, 2017

Post by zabo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:17 pm

Ill just respond here now instead-

I am looking into more robust gallery options similar to one on the samba. But for now you can host images easily on itinerant-air-cooled.com.

When making a post click the "full editor and preview" button. then click attachments tab, add file and place inline.
ishot-44.jpg

Result:
b10c.jpg
60 beetle
78 bus

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:20 pm

I have been using Photobucket for over ten years now, and have stored several hundred pictures there and linked them to many forums. For the life of me, I never figured out how they could stay in business. I have never paid them a penny, or even clicked on a banner ad. Now multiply me by a hundred million.
In Photobucket’s 14-year history, the Company amassed over 100 million registered users, over 15 billion images stored, 2 million daily uploads and 10 billion photos accessed monthly.
Petabytes of storage are not cheap, nor is high speed networking to allow seamless streaming of images. Now the investors who entrusted their savings to the "greedy, arrogant CEO" would like to see a return on their investment.

Dude. You have been given a free service for a long time. Nobody is pulling the rug out from under you, you just now have to figure out your next best alternative. All your pictures are still there, stored and backed up for free. You can download them back, buy some drives to store, back-up and link them yourself, or pay someone else to do it for a reasonable fee.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:16 pm

Ill just respond here now instead-

I am looking into more robust gallery options similar to one on the samba. But for now you can host images easily on itinerant-air-cooled.com.

When making a post click the "full editor and preview" button. then click attachments tab, add file and place inline.
ishot-44.jpg

Result:
b10c.jpg

let me see if I can do this.

IMG_0418.JPG
Truth is like poetry.

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:35 pm

Couldn't add a second image to the previous post.
ac.jpg
Truth is like poetry.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:51 pm

Any objections to TheSamba gallery for technical images? I'm happy to spend a few hours a week taking Colin's photos from Photobucket (if I can download the full-size images) and uploading them to a Samba account, (either mine, or a shared "IAC Photos" account.) They're hosting allows up to 5mp+ now, I think, and they're easier to embed than PhotoBucket, in my opinion.

Zabo, Colin, et al., I'm not intimately familiar with BBC board code, but I'm happy to lend a hand however needed. Sometimes I have some spare time, but I don't usually have spare cash to donate, so I can lend the first one if y'all'd like.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:08 am

asiab3 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:51 pm
Any objections to TheSamba gallery for technical images? I'm happy to spend a few hours a week taking Colin's photos from Photobucket (if I can download the full-size images) and uploading them to a Samba account, (either mine, or a shared "IAC Photos" account.) They're hosting allows up to 5mp+ now, I think, and they're easier to embed than PhotoBucket, in my opinion.

Zabo, Colin, et al., I'm not intimately familiar with BBC board code, but I'm happy to lend a hand however needed. Sometimes I have some spare time, but I don't usually have spare cash to donate, so I can lend the first one if y'all'd like.

Robbie

If Everette doesn't object, using the samba gallery may be the best route.
If we start overloading images here, randy will eventually need to upgrade our account which of course = $

The only other option i have found is to use yet another 3rd party service such as Postit or Imgur.
60 beetle
78 bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:27 am

hippiewannabe wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:20 pm
I have been using Photobucket for over ten years now, and I have never paid them a penny, or even clicked on a banner ad.

Dude. You have been given a free service for a long time. Nobody is pulling the rug out from under you, you just now have to figure out your next best alternative.

This is what people do . . . they proclaim their position, then assume that everybody else is the same.

Unlike you, I have been paying Photobucket an annual fee, and I have willingly accepted their increases because I prefer an ad-free experience, like here on the Itinerant Air-Cooled site.

If you want to play plutocratic lap-poodle apologizing and rationalizing the behavior of this outfit, be my guest. But I stand with many others who have found Photobucket to be a poorly run company with ever more technical glitches at each ridiculous "upgrade." I stand with the people who fell for their freefreefree speil, loaded up thousands of images because Photobucket, as you recall TOLD US IT WAS FREE, then they started shifting the goal posts.

I don't demand anything for free, Don, I hope for excellence quality and mutual respect. Photobucket has indeed started blanketing their guests' 3rd party links with a horrible little:

without warning. Many of these people have thousands of images hosted as part of their business, as do I. If you read across the internet, this "ransom demand" move on their part is not going over well. Their price increase goes beyond all reasonable expectation, just like with "pharma-bro" Martin Shkreli and Epi-Pen CEO Heather Bresch throwing thousands if not millions of people into some real difficulties because of greed, yes, but utter indifference to others.

And here you are, Don, chastising me while you are a Photobucket Phreeloader after all of these years where I thought you were pulling your weight because you understood the cost of doing business . . . :blackeye:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:30 am

asiab3 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:51 pm

Robbie

I would like not to put all of my photo eggs in theSamba basket if I can help it. How many photographs would Everett host? I have fifteen years X 1,200 photographs . . .
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:36 am

zabo wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:08 am
If we start overloading images here, randy will eventually need to upgrade our account which of course = $

The only other option i have found is to use yet another 3rd party service such as Postit or Imgur.

...and how much would it cost to upgrade our account? We are paying peanuts right now. Apparently, if I pay anything less than $300.00/year, I come out ahead.
I disdain the way our gallery works. Punky little pictures that don't allow you to put more than one per post.
Colin
(I also dislike the way our page layout now crams people's posts up against the prior post. What is that about? So people don't have to scroll their little phone screens as much?)

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:57 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:36 am
(I also dislike the way our page layout now crams people's posts up against the prior post. What is that about? So people don't have to scroll their little phone screens as much?)

im not sure what you mean by this- can you post a picture? :cyclopsani:

also there should be no problem using attachment feature to post multiple images
1476301.jpg
1476300.jpg
1012072.jpg
1411927.jpg
60 beetle
78 bus

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:42 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:27 am

This is what people do . . . they proclaim their position, then assume that everybody else is the same.

....Unlike you, I have been paying Photobucket an annual fee, and I have willingly accepted their increases because I prefer an ad-free experience, like here on the Itinerant Air-Cooled site.

..... If you read across the internet, this "ransom demand" move on their part is not going over well. Their price increase goes beyond all reasonable expectation, just like with "pharma-bro" Martin Shkreli and Epi-Pen CEO Heather Bresch throwing thousands if not millions of people into some real difficulties because of greed, yes, but utter indifference to others.

And here you are, Don, chastising me while you are a Photobucket Phreeloader after all of these years where I thought you were pulling your weight because you understood the cost of doing business . . . :blackeye:
That Martin Shkreli guy is beyond the pale and hopefully can be prosecuted for something.

We're all a bunch of freeloaders, expecting everything on the Internet to be free. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. The business model for a lot of Internet and tech companies is lose however much money you must to gain domination, and figure out how to make a profit later. Some have made the transition relatively gracefully, like Facebook. No doubt Photobucket is hamfisted, and they deserve scorn for the way they rolled it out. I hope they figure out a more logical tiered plan and roll it out gradually. From zero to $400 is stupid; with your commercial scale operation, maybe it is justified, but people can live without my silly pictures for that price.

My point was there is no free lunch. According to Stein's Law, if something is unsustainable, it will stop. And the free-free-free model was unsustainable.

My current focus is on Amazon. It seems to be OK with stockholders for them to make no money while they plow everything into building world domination. They won't be able to stop themselves from turning the screws after they've laid waste to the retail market. But damn, good deals on Prime Day, huh?
Truth is like poetry.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:58 am

Indeed, this isn't too bad at all - once you realize where the 'attachments' tab is in the reply window and see that you can upload your pics while posting to the thread all in the same action. The beats the heck out of having to upload images and then get the codes and then go create your post and copy/paste those image URL's into the thread.
2014-08-05_224518_zps00b24636.jpg
2014-08-04_184353_zpsbc662161.jpg
2014-07-28_211313_zps874e4407.jpg
2014-07-21_213253_zps07f5b81a.jpg
2014-07-17_214921_zps35d9a7e9.jpg
1979 California Transporter

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:07 pm

Is there any way to configure phpBB gallery to store files in AWS S3? That would be the most resilient way for Colin and forum - and not too expensive. Pricing: https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/

EDIT: Would this be the extension to allow uploaded files (photos) to be stored in AWS: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/aws_s3/

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:10 pm

tommu wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:07 pm
Is there any way to configure phpBB gallery to store files in AWS S3? That would be the most resilient way for Colin and forum - and not too expensive. Pricing: https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/

EDIT: Would this be the extension to allow uploaded files (photos) to be stored in AWS: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/aws_s3/

that looks really good tommu. It may be a bit over my head to set up.

If its within your abilities could connect with colin and randy to get it sorted?
60 beetle
78 bus