RIP Pete Seeger

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

JLT
Old School!

RIP Pete Seeger

Post by JLT » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:11 pm

I got word today that Pete Seeger is no longer with us. He was 94.

The sad thing isn't that he died. He had a life that was far longer and richer than most of use have any right to expect, and he was active right up to the end. The sad thing is that he will never get the Nobel Peace Prize that he richly deserved, for showing us how music can bind the peoples of the world together, and demonstrating how humanity's common traits overshadow our differences.

After his blacklisting in the fifties and sixties cut him off from earning a living in the United States, he traveled around the world, sharing the richness of American song and harvesting the richness of the songs of other cultures and bringing them to us. In particular, he brought home a song written by a Russian child, and a marching tune of the Red Chinese army, and included them in his concerts. For him, there were no important national boundaries. He was not the first musician to cast himself as a good-will ambassador, but he was arguably one of the most effective ones, and the one most willing to cross hard political boundaries. Who else could bring to a concert audience the feeling that people all over the world were just like them in most respects, loving their children and worrying about tomorrow and ready to repay goodwill with goodwill?

Another thing about his concerts come to me. He wanted people of all ages to come to them, from toddlers to grandparents, and he made sure that there were children's songs to round out his repertoire. That was a part of his vision of music as a unifying force.

He changed American popular music in more ways than people realized. He was responsible for the resurgence of the twelve-string guitar after World War II, he pretty much invented the long-necked banjo, he changed one word of the Baptist hymn "We Will Overcome" to "We Shall Overcome" and converted it from a hymn to an anthem, he wrote or co-wrote "Where Have All the Flowers Gone," "If I Had A Hammer," and "Turn, Turn, Turn" ... and the list goes on.

I wonder if his kind will ever come again. His champions, who include Arlo Guthrie and Bruce Springsteen, are themselves getting older and less relevant to the musical community. Are there young people now willing to take up the torch, and use music and love as a way of bringing people together, fighting social ills, and celebrating our common humanity? I won't say that we need them more than ever, because we have always needed them and we will always need them. But when we see these young talents coming forth again, it will be like seeing the first flowers after a long winter. And it wouldn't be soon enough for me.

Colin, I wouldn't mind if you moved this post to "Free Speech." I didn't put it there, because I think that this news transcends politics and political views. one one level, Pete was intensely political, but he wasn't dogmatic, and wished for dialogue between people who disagreed with each other. Asked if he read the Communist Daily Worker, he said, "Yes, I do. And I also read the Wall Street Journal. And what I'd really like to do is get the writers of both newspapers together in the same room." At the end of his life, he had plenty of adversaries, but no enemies. 'Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished, that.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Re: RIP Pete Seeger

Post by Xelmon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:50 pm

That... Is a real pity.

RIP man...

Hm... "It's a hammer of justice, it's bell of fre-eee-edom, it's a song about the love, between, our brothers and our sisters, all over this laaaaaaa-aaaaaa-aaaaaand!"

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:11 pm

Well said JLT,
He will be missed.
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:46 pm

Indeed, a giant of a man. He gave so much. Sad day.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:09 pm

JLT,

I feel your pain, but don't worry too much about the kids. The kids... well, "The Kids are alright." Do you remember a book called Closing of the American Mind? Written by Harold Bloom at the height of the culture wars during the mid 80s, much of it is spent castigating the ignorance of the college freshman who lacked all the things that made life worth living. He laid some of the blame at the feet of the higher education system, but here's the kick. That book was published in 1987, the year I was a freshman.

Now, with my mostly Ph.D. in English (Bloom was a Shakespearean scholar or repute), I look at my friends and see a lot of people who have grown up with great ideals, lived good, valuable lives, and understand much of what Seeger would say to us were he here.

As for music, it comes and goes, I guess. But for what it's worth, here's one of my high school heroes, George Michael, making music (in this case, taking something from the past and making it relevant today):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij3ba71gtrU

Wish my old grandfather were here today ~ he hated the pop music I listened to (GM would be an example) but he sure loved this song.

Thank whatever gods you believe in that we had Seeger as long as we did. We are all the poorer for his death, but if his life serves as a light to allow us to carry on, then let us hold the torch as brightly as we may, for others follow us, the young, and they'll need that light.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:46 am

JLT wrote:I got word today that Pete Seeger is no longer with us. He was 94.
He was an acquaintance/friend of the family here. Had just had a heart valve replacement. Was feeling great. Did an hour on the exercise bike, then stacked wood. Died.

We will have new Great Persons. We just have to keep our eyes and ears and hearts open.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles