Internet Radio

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Internet Radio

Post by Randy in Maine » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:32 pm

OK, I want it in my shop. I am going to get rid of the Sirrus Radio and go to internet radio.

I have wireless in the house and can get a decent wireless signal out in the shop. I have an older Yamaha receiver out there now with 100 watts x 2 and have 2 sets of "not real efficient speakers" out there. I can run my ipod out there through the receiver so there has to be a way to pick up a "tuner" type thing to make it happen. I am good for up to $200.

Where should I start looking?
79 VW Bus

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Internet Radio

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:36 pm

An AppleTV box would do it, but that's overkill, and necessitates a monitor of some kind. Well under $200 for just the box. An iPod suggests you're already running macs.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:47 pm

$100 should get you a 7" Android tablet that would stream internet radio just fine, as would a refurb Nook Color or Kindle Fire. Bonus with that route is the potential for light browsing & video -- there are a ton of "this is how to do X" videos on Youtube, and not having to run back-and-forth from the shop to the house while you're trying to work on things could be a useful thing .. just look for something with decent resolution, 1024x600 or better. I had one with an 800x480 display and it was OK for a while, but after a while my eyes would start bothering me...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:50 am

I use internet radio all the time down in Suriname via my iphone. I use the Tunein and Sonza apps but the itunes one is good too but hard to find stations I want to listen to. I use a Jambox via bluetooth for remote speaker to make it sound good plus you can move it around easy as its very small.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:31 pm

I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Digital-3-5 ... grid_i_0_0

Well, did. It's gone missing. Anyway, the sound from the built-in speaker is surprisingly good, fine for indoor or workbench listening, and it's got RCA outputs if you want to connect it to your amplifier and crank it up.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:38 am

That Gracie thing is what I need. I am going to order it up!

Thanks for the suggestions!!
79 VW Bus