Dunno, let's ask....

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Dunno, let's ask....

Post by Gypsie » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:30 am

So I have been meaning to let y'all share in the impish mischief I got up to this last year at the Deschutes River RendezVW.

You know that it is a gathering of brethren where families and friends of the volks clan share their zest for life and passion for German engineering (and maybe a tuba tune or two...).

This event means alot to me as it came to me out of the ether. I stumbled into the first gathering having recently purchased a 1980 Vanagon (that I was concerned about because it had no radiator an relied on air to cool it.)

I met these great folk. You know them: Hambone, Tristessa, Ruckman, Deschutestrout. That first day: Mark hosted a great gathering. Hal showed me how to seat the valve cover gasket properly. Bob lent me his guitar to play at the open mike (he's a lefty don'tchyaknow). I can't tell you what Neal did, but it was nice...

I really didn't know much about VW's, but I have mechanical aptitude and hands on experience. I enjoyed the zen of wrenchin' and the community of folk I was meeting. I started hanging out here a few months later (right after what I hear described as the "stinkfoot rebellion"...) and met Colin through this screen.

Over the years I have come to appreciate Mr. Skeptics qualities on the screen, in the field, and between the lines. In my estimation, he is a good man following his passion (embracing his passion sounded funny, so I changed it..).

The folk have been genuine, and I have made some great friends.

I have been here with many of you as this venture has grown, was almost snuffed out, and carried on in a duck turned cow.. and an adjusted yet undiminished outlook. I have been witness to many acts of generosity and kindness through this mutual pursuit. People sharing and empowering each other in a unified effort to "figger it out" and "fix it up right". All around the experience has been enriching.

Ohhhhmmmmm......

Anyway, back to the mischief...

I have heard the term Guru tossed around with Colin's name. I have also heard that Mr. Skeptic chuckles at the inference.

I put together a little tableau using a pilfered photo of our departed friend, RW, taken by the master himself....(heh heh heh).

Have a look:

I placed my tongue in my cheek and ordered a dozen shirts and passed them out to some folk at the RendezVW. The plan was to wear them on Saturday morning and see how long it took for Colin to recognize his rig. And then how long it took for him to figger out WWCD.

Another level of the prank: "Disciples" were to ask Colin a vexing VW question to find out "What Would Colin Do?" from the man himself...and to listen intently while he answered...If you could work up some "awestruck", then good on ya.

Oh the joke was to be exquisite as the day wore on and the dawning came...

Well, best laid plans and all that.

The Road warrior was identified right away as Mr. Kellogg spotted his steed at 20 yards first thing in the morning.

No gradual awakening to the smattering of white "WWCD" shirts wandering about.

WWCD? Dunno, lets ask...

Funny thing is, is that this can be a serious consideration. I have wondered more than once this very thing.

And have also thought that I could ask and get some quality guidance from the swami or other "disciples".

heh heh...see what I did right there...

Not a guru, more of a brother in arms.

Admirable qualities.

Keen insight.

Cutoffs.

WWCD, indeed.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Dunno, let's ask....

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:43 am

Gypsie wrote:So I have been meaning to let y'all share in the impish mischief I got up to this last year at the Deschutes River RendezVW.

The plan was to wear them on Saturday morning and see how long it took for Colin to recognize his rig.
Well, best laid plans and all that.
The Road Warrior was identified right away first thing in the morning.
Oh, it wasn't any "right away". It was a dumbo dawning realization that I *knew* that VW in that picture on Neal's shirt. About a triple-take.
I didn't even get the WWCD part. When I then saw other shirts, I got all misty-eyed so I went over to Mental Qtip's Card Table Coffee Cafe for a belt of french press. That straightened me out.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:32 pm

I will always cherish asking you a million times, "well, what WOULD you do?", and receiving the same baffled expression with the paused reply: "I don't know..."
Besides you're too crazy to be a guru anyway. Maybe not crazy enuff.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:13 pm

I always imagined the really great Guru's being bats#!t crazy so in that regard our itinerant grease monkey fits the bill... :joker:

I really did mean for this to be a poke in the ribs though the more I think on it the more I see the fit.

Can anyone here think of a time when they were at a place where they had a mechanical enigma and thought "how would Colin handle this?" then immediately think of a razor bearing saddle shaving session or some such? Please share.

Next year it will be orange Chuck Taylors and tyvek suits.... the blank stares will be there as usual.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:25 am

Gypsie wrote:Can anyone here think of a time when they were at a place where they had a mechanical enigma and thought "how would Colin handle this?" then immediately think of a razor bearing saddle shaving session or some such? Please share.
At a campground in Winchester ID, when Ludwig's pass. side carb overflowed again I deduced that no matter how bad aftermarket float valves are, they're not so bad that I had five go bad on me, so I took a closer look at the assembly including the new gasket and sure enough, the gaskets are so poorly matched to the actual carb that the float gets hung up on some extra material sometimes and can't shut off the gas, so a little utility knife work to the gasket and there've been no floods since. And--the way in which I most Colinishly handled it I guess--I relayed my disgust to Royce, the gasket maker.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:54 pm

Gypsie wrote: Can anyone here think of a time when they were at a place where they had a mechanical enigma and thought "how would Colin handle this?"
Todally. Frequently. Recently.

My Honda lawnmower suddenly won't start. Won't even crank.

"Gotta be something simple. Safety interlock switch, fuse, ignition switch.."

OK, let's start taking things apart.

"WAIT! Are you sure you know how all this crap goes back together? Huh? What would Colin do?"

"He'd get a piece of cardboard and stick each piece into it, all nicely lined up so that he can see how stuff goes back together and so that all those little parts don't get lost."

"Right". So? Do it!

"OK"

<five hours later>

"How the $*@^T#@!!!! do you get the steering wheel off this thing so you can get at the guts?"

"What would Colin do?"

"Use the force, Peter. Get a bigger puller."
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:00 pm

glasseye wrote:
Gypsie wrote: Can anyone here think of a time when they were at a place where they had a mechanical enigma and thought "how would Colin handle this?"
Todally. Frequently. Recently.

My Honda lawnmower suddenly won't start. Won't even crank.

"Gotta be something simple. Safety interlock switch, fuse, ignition switch.."

OK, let's start taking things apart.

"WAIT! Are you sure you know how all this crap goes back together? Huh? What would Colin do?"

"He'd get a piece of cardboard and stick each piece into it, all nicely lined up so that he can see how stuff goes back together and so that all those little parts don't get lost."

"Right". So? Do it!

"OK"

<five hours later>

"How the $*@^T#@!!!! do you get the steering wheel off this thing so you can get at the guts?"

"What would Colin do?"

"Use the force, Peter. Get a bigger puller."
Or get your knees under the steering wheel avoiding the turn signal and wiper stalks and bunt the steering shaft with hammer taps on the loosely installed steering wheel nut in a parking lot where people might ask, "what . . . . are you doing?"

I sure would like a couple more shirts . . . they match my new Attempting To Be Sartorially Appropriate camouflage shorts.
Colin
(anyone else want one?)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles