best welder for novice

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

best welder for novice

Post by Mr Blotto » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Question - I need to do a lot of spot welds on a piece of work equipment - steel to steel - does not need to be fancy. I need to do this pretty quickly. What welder is the easiest to learn how to use and would be able to accomplish this kind of task? Should I really stay away from the cheap ones (harbor freight, etc)? What are good brands?

Thanks!
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: best welder for novice

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:00 pm

how thick is the metal you are welding? And do you have access to a 220 line? This will dictate what you can and/or need to buy. I've never welded, but have read the wire feed welders are the easiest to learn how to use. If it's just a one time shot, might want to check with a local shop.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:33 pm

I do not have access to 220. The metal I need to weld will mostly range between 1/8 and 1/4", and will need to spot weld the occational nut onto sheet metal. It would also be nice if I could use it for body work in the future.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:37 pm

Then you are in luck - a 110v MIG (or wirefeed) welder should do you just fine...they aren't that expensive either, do some research and then check out craigslist.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:48 pm

The Miller 110V I used with 25/75 mix was really nice to use... I'll have to ask the guys for a model number.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:22 pm

If he can afford one, they are the bomb...believe they are top of the line.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

Psucamper
Getting Hooked!

Post by Psucamper » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:46 pm

The Miller Auto Set 140 is PN:907335. I have a Miller 211 120v/230v and it is a great machine. Checked the web and the best price for the 140 was at Welders Supply for $729.Free shipping. But remember you will need a 75/25 gas tank with mix, and an auto dark helmet .Adds substantially the cost of welding. Bite the bullet and get a great USA made gas welder. Stay away from the HF junk.

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks fellas for all this info. I have seen several gasless MIG welders - what is the difference between gas and gasless?

Psucamper
Getting Hooked!

Post by Psucamper » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:03 am

The gas is a 75/25 mix of Argon/Co2 and is used to prevent ambient air (O2) from contaminating the weld. It also provides a cleaner and better controlled arc.
Gasless uses a special wire with a built-in flux that is supposed to mimic an inert atmosphere around the weld. I have not used a gasless welder but consensus says that it's more difficult to get a good clean weld and there is a lot of spatter to clean up.
The only benefit I see it that it is cheaper (no tank and mix) and there is no tank to carry around, Yes, one can go flux wire and many do, but clean welds with good penetration are more difficult. It is technique sensitive. The Miller can use either as it only takes a wire change.

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:23 pm

Thanks for the great explanation!