Solar Panel Array Install

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

drober23
Addicted!

Solar Panel Array Install

Post by drober23 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:35 am

This has been keeping me from devoting enough time to my busses. Not sure if anyone here is into renewable energy or astronomy, but my current project has a bit of both.

We are installing 12,500 kW of solar panels (48 panels made in the USA by Solar World). We are also building a shed/observatory in the back. Starting them at the same time because my township allowed me to roll it all into one set of permits. Here are some pictures of the progress so far:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... a4b31ca467

My hope is to get the concrete poured before December. The solar array should be done by the end of the year, while the shed will get started in the spring.
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

dingo
IAC Addict!

Re: Solar Panel Array Install

Post by dingo » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:16 pm

Awesome ! best of luck...look forward to the results
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:03 am

Way cool. Where are you in Metro Detroit that's still dark enough for good stargazing? Here in Livonia I check out the planets on occasion, but there is so much light pollution it's too frustrating for much else.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:48 pm

YOU ROCK.
71 bench 1915
70 wide lowered body rag top 2056 type4 DTM nothing stock if I could touch it.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:33 pm

Hippiewannabe,

I am in Carleton, which is about 10 miles south of Metro Airport.

Not a dark sky site, but still pretty good compared to a more urban area like Livonia (or Lincoln Park where I spent quite a few years). An observatory helps a LOT by keeping stray light out, letting you get as much visibility as is possible in your area.

I just finished digging the hole for the base of the cement pier (to support the telescope). A 3'x3' hole 4' deep looks bigger than it sounds. Especially when you are at the bottom of it throwing hard clay over your head to get it out of the hole. But it is dug, and the form for the foundation is in.

The bus has been getting a workout as a supply vehicle. 8' sheets of plywood and 10' dimensional lumber fit easily inside!

DJ
DJ

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:59 am

drober23 wrote: I just finished digging the hole for the base of the cement pier to support the telescope. A 3'x3' hole 4' deep looks bigger than it sounds.

The bus has been getting a workout as a supply vehicle. 8' sheets of plywood and 10' dimensional lumber fit easily inside!

DJ
You only have to go four feet down to get under the frost line?
Now then, when you pour, ask the guys to slap down a quicky concrete floor in the barns, thanx.
Colin :drunken:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:01 pm

Colin, I have cement floors in a couple of the barns. But they are far from the house, not well lit, and would require a generator for any needed power. If you prefer, we could locate in one of those for your next visit.

Frost line is shallower than that. City hall says you have to dig fenceposts and such 42", and I have never had one heave on me. I have seen plenty prepared by others heave. I suspect they are not as fastidious about following ordinances as me.

Four feet is to provide a big enough mass to offset the pier itself. The pier will end up at about 17' tall, as the observatory part goes on top of the normal shed part. It also has to be isolated from the rest of the concrete pad and building. Makes construction interesting.

This winter will be filled with me building the geodesic hexagons and pentagons in my basement. When it warms up in the spring, I will assemble them. Should be fun!
DJ

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:02 pm

drober23 wrote:Colin, I have cement floors in a couple of the barns. But they are far from the house, not well lit, and would require a generator for any needed power. If you prefer, we could locate in one of those for your next visit.

Frost line is shallower than that. City hall says you have to dig fenceposts and such 42", and I have never had one heave on me. I have seen plenty prepared by others heave. I suspect they are not as fastidious about following ordinances as me.

Four feet is to provide a big enough mass to offset the pier itself. The pier will end up at about 17' tall, as the observatory part goes on top of the normal shed part. It also has to be isolated from the rest of the concrete pad and building. Makes construction interesting.

This winter will be filled with me building the geodesic hexagons and pentagons in my basement. When it warms up in the spring, I will assemble them. Should be fun!
May your Creativity Manifest Manifestly . . .
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles