Line-X or Rhino Lining?

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Line-X or Rhino Lining?

Post by Randy in Maine » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 am

Here is the deal. I am going to get rid of my 1990 Jeep Comanche daily driver (to a good home) and purchase my former work truck for cheap money, a 2002 GMC K-1500 Xtracab when it comes up for auction next month. The 6.5' bed is in pretty good shape now and want to do a permanent bedliner to it "going over the bed rail". I don't intend to haul anything very exciting or real heavy back there. I will be mounting a Thule Xsportser Rack on the bed rails to haul the kayaks and lumber back.

They are both the same money ~ $525. I am leaning toward Line-X but wanted to know if someone else has an opinion. I am looking for something that won't easily tear or chip or flake off. Both of them have a "lifetime warranty", what ever that means.

Thoughts?
79 VW Bus

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Re: Line-X or Rhino Lining?

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:35 am

are you having it professionally sprayed/applied?

everyone I know around here prefers the Line-X stuff. offroad guys paint their rock crawlers with it around these parts, and they are *serious* about their rigs.

I don't have personal experience with both to be able to share. the only one ive used is the Rhino and that's only because you could get it and spray it yourself from an aerosol can. (that held up, but it was for a cheap interior and not a bedliner.)
1979 California Transporter

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 am

I will have it put on by the dealer guy. The do some prep work to give it something to "bite on" on the paint inside the bed. Either they scratch it up or apply some sort of primer.

Side question...has anyone ever repacked the CV joints to replace a leaking boot for one of these things? Everyone one I have asked looks at me like I am crazy to even consider it.
79 VW Bus

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:02 am

My company has a three 2005 F-250s with Line-X factory applied. They are used for fieldwork and continually have heavy metal items (pumps, 55-gallon drums, etc) thrown in & dragged out. There are a few gouges and scrapes but in my opinion, the finish has held up very well, and I like the fact that it has texture and is not a glossy finish - things do not slide around. I would get it again in a heartbeat - great stuff!
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:07 am

Randy in Maine wrote: has anyone ever repacked the CV joints to replace a leaking boot for one of these things?
???
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:14 am

Mr Blotto wrote:My company has a three 2005 F-250s with Line-X factory applied. They are used for fieldwork and continually have heavy metal items (pumps, 55-gallon drums, etc) thrown in & dragged out. There are a few gouges and scrapes but in my opinion, the finish has held up very well, and I like the fact that it has texture and is not a glossy finish - things do not slide around. I would get it again in a heartbeat - great stuff!
My old company truck (2004 Siverado) had the Line X professionally sprayed in. Held up great! At the time, they said it was the same product used on County dumptrucks, and they concured the product held up really well.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:30 am

Yes I am thinking I will go with the Line-X when the deal happens next month.

I think of it as a "parts getter" for the buses. Also big and heavy enough to tow a bus or a doublecab if needed. I don't really need or want the 4WD, but it is what it is. I have had few issues with it during the 117K miles I drove it.

One of the reasons it was taken away from me at work and replaced was that it would not pass safety inspection due to 1) rusted out rear brake lines and 2) leaking axle shafts. I am going to have my brake lines all replaced with the copper zinc stuff they all use so that is not a problem. I will be putting on the stainless "flex hoses" as I found it lacking in a "good feel" for braking even when it was new. My "wrench guy" tells me that only I (and my fellow VW bus guys) rebuild CV joints anymore and that everyone else just has the half shafts replaced for about $100 each. I have never been into the axles of anything like this, and I was wondering it they are pretty much the same as bus CV joints. I don't figure they could be that different. I know they have never been serviced, replaced, or repacked since I have scheduled all of the servicing for this truck since new and have never had it done.
79 VW Bus

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:35 am

IF the quality of half shafts for that market is as good as ours, id service your existing ones before replacing them.

sure it's only $100 and they guarantee them, but when your replacing them every other year you'll wish you just fixed the good parts instead.
1979 California Transporter

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:42 pm

I have certainly considered that lack of quality in re-built parts.

I think I will wait until I get this truck to my "wrench guy", get it up on the lift, and have him check it out bumper to bumper before I get very worried about it.

Ironically the "wrench guy" called me about a FI bus that was running poorly. I played my "TSII" card and it now runs well.
79 VW Bus

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:53 am

I have owned and worked on many Chevy 4wd trucks. Usually, "leaking" axle shafts are transfer case seals leaking fluid. Great trucks though.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia