Question about routing diesel exhaust outside of a building

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Question about routing diesel exhaust outside of a building

Post by Mr Blotto » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:37 am

Although this is NOT an ACVW question, it IS mechanical, and I trust and value the wealth of mechanical know-how on this board (you all are way smarter than I am), so here it goes....

I need to use a diesel powered drill rig (think the size of a bobcat/skid-steer engine) inside of an industrial building, but the tenant does not want diesel exhaust spewing into bis building (and I get it). The exhaust pipe on this unit is about 1.5" OD, and there is enough exposed to securely clamp on a section of flexible steel exhaust hose. The furthest run of where I need to run this machine, and where the closest exterior door is, is about 125'. I assume that a 125' run of extension piping would create too much back pressure and screw the engine up. Would an inline blower/fan fix this? Anyone know of any inline fans that can withstand the heat of the exhaust? Am I asking for a blown engine?

I have asked that manufacturer, and they gave me the typical response (our engines are not designed to run with any extensions on the exhaust, and doing so will void the warranty, blah blah blah).

Thanks for any thoughts you can provide!
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Re: Question about routing diesel exhaust outside of a build

Post by Randy in Maine » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:25 pm

Do it on a long weekend. Use big ass fans to blow fresh air in and big ass exhaust fans blowing out.

In our shop here at work, we have 3" hoses that normally get hooked up to truck exhaust and are blown out a vent mounted on the outside of the building. There is a squirrel cage blower in-line to help move the exhaust out through the piping.
79 VW Bus

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:51 pm

I would, but this place is running 24/7.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:51 am

I have done this on a couple of jobs before so seal the buildings openings as much as possible. Two big 3Foot fans for fresh air coming in sealed around them with plastic sheet and duct tape. Have two or more 3 ft fans for exhaust and seal around them as much as possible. The idea is to create positive flow of fresh air and negative flow exhaust, lots of it. Seal any windows bla, bla with plastic and duct tape. The only air in is via the fresh air inlet fans and the only air out is the exhaust. There will be some smell so run the machine in 30 minute runs I guess, see be trial and error. You don't want to overwhelm the fans. Sounds like is a big building?? add fans as needed. We did this in a medical clinic which had to keep running almost 24/7 on the second and third floors so we did most of the work at night when it was slow for them. Try what Randy said too but I haven't ever done that. I you get enough flow with the fans it will work fine
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:53 am

Thanks guys - I should clarify - this is a 200k ft2 building that manufacturers food-grade plastic containers - they do not want any fugitive exhaust in the air for fear of contaminating their product. So I need to literally extend the exhaust outside of the building, or figure something else out. I am researching propane-powered rigs, but they are hard to come by. I wonder if I run 150' of flexible exhaust pipe from the tailpipe to the outside and connect a shop vac on the end of it, whether it would crease enough of a pull to nix any backpressure issue. I think the exhaust gases would be cool enough after traveling 150' that they would not melt the shop vac.

Thanks for letting me tap into your brains!

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:33 am

You will need something a lot bigger than a shop vac.

At work, they use "RamFans" to ventilate basements and spaces that have leaked diesel fuel, gasoline, or hazardous materials in them at round 1000-4000 cubic feet per minute though 8-12" flex tubing. The engineer guy suggested running a 20' long 4" flex hose from the exhaust pipe of the machine and attaching it to the ramfan inlet and then to exhaust everything out the back 8" pipe outside after sealing doors and windows. You will be moving a lot of air, and the exhaust from the machine will only be a spall portion of it.

Ours ramfans at work are real money (as they are explosion proof and will also ventilate colsed space environments), but you could probably rent one that is not as extreme for less a lot cheaper. A local haz waste cleanup company or even a flood damage company might have that equipment for rent for a few days.

Just a thought.
79 VW Bus

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:26 pm

Problem solved! Located a unit that is able to be powered from a remote hydraulic source. Will rent a bobcat and leave it outside, and run hydraulic hose from it, to the drill unit inside. Will not have as much guts as a normal unit, but aside from a hydraulic hose busting, it should be a clean job.

Thanks again for the ideas.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:07 pm

Mr Blotto wrote:Problem solved! Located a unit that is able to be powered from a remote hydraulic source. Will rent a bobcat and leave it outside, and run hydraulic hose from it, to the drill unit inside. Will not have as much guts as a normal unit, but aside from a hydraulic hose busting, it should be a clean job.

Thanks again for the ideas.
Glad to hear it.
I was watching this thread with more interest in the cubic footage of diesel exhaust generated than the back pressure. I had come up with Displacement Of Engine X RPM / 12 = CFM Required.
Your solution seems much more manageable over the long haul.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles