Non ACVW mechanical question

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Non ACVW mechanical question

Post by Mr Blotto » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:25 pm

Hi all - I have an issue on my Honda Element, but it being an Element has nothing to do with it, but I trust the mechanical aptitude of this board way more than anything else out there.

One of the two bolts that held on the rear license plate snapped off flush with the threaded hole that the bolt screws into. My thought was to drill a small hole in the busted off bolt, and use a screw extractor to back the bolt out. To do this, I needed to remove the license plate, so I had to remove the other bolt. You guessed it, the other one snapped off just like the other one! So, I just doubled my job, or so I thought.....

One the original problem bolt, I drilled a perfect hole through the old bolt, and tapped it my screw extractor. (oh...I forgot to add that I hit them with PB plaster ahead of time). After the extractor was seated, I began to slowly reverse it.....until the extractor SNAPPED OFF FLUSH! After a few curse words, I decided to drill out the bolt on the other side. All was going well, but then my drill bit SNAPPED OFF FLUSH.

So at this point, both my broken off license plate bolts have foreign bodies stuck in them, making drilling them out impossible. There is no way for me to access the back side to try to back them out.

Would a good quality carbide drill bit be able to get through a broken off screw extractor and a drill bit? These small things are so aggravating!!

At this point, my rear plate is held on by some bailing wire....lookin good....

Thanks for any suggestions!
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Non ACVW mechanical question

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:40 pm

Mr Blotto wrote: the extractor SNAPPED OFF FLUSH!
my drill bit SNAPPED OFF FLUSH.
Drill fresh holes 1/4" to the side. Use 5/16" self tapping screws. Do not overtighten in plastic you may have metal underneath, I don't know from the photographs.
Your plate has elongated slots that should just barely allow you to have symmetry. If the holes are already outboard to the elongations or something, just drill the plate where you need to. Rough it. Don't always color inside the lines. Take my offer to paint a picture of your kid in your bus, it's a keepsake.
If you strip these damn things out, you get to up to 3/8 then 7/16 at which point, you have to buy another car.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:50 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Drill fresh holes 1/4" to the side. Use 5/16" self tapping screws. Do not overtighten in plastic you may have metal underneath, I don't know from the photographs.
Your plate has elongated slots that should just barely allow you to have symmetry. If the holes are already outboard to the elongations or something, just drill the plate where you need to. Rough it. Don't always color inside the lines. Take my offer to paint a picture of your kid in your bus, it's a keepsake.
If you strip these damn things out, you get to up to 3/8 then 7/16 at which point, you have to buy another car.
Colin
Thanks Colin - I think it would help if I post a pic - WHEN IT STOPS SNOWING, I will. :scratch:
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:01 pm

Mr Blotto wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Colin
Thanks Colin - I think it would help if I post a pic - WHEN IT STOPS SNOWING, I will. :scratch:
I know it has fancy plastic cladding with trapped nut/plastic threaded receiver/whatever . . . but yeah, let me know.
Mr. Don'tForgetIMachineWithRazorBlades
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:43 pm

One word.... liquidnails. See mom, no screws! :pottytrain5:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::