Tablets

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Tablets

Post by RussellK » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:57 am

I've been called for Jury Duty in a few weeks. The courthouse has WiFi access so I can work while waiting to be called etc. As a portable alternative to my stone age laptop I'm considering a tablet. There are so many choices. Anyone have any that stand out in their mind? Nearly all my work is now done via the internet but I still have to use spreadsheets and compose a letter now and then.

satchmo
Old School!

Re: Tablets

Post by satchmo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:17 pm

IMHO, tablets are more of a consumption device than a production device, and one needs a keyboard to do any meaningful work on a tablet. If you use a Mac for most tasks, then maybe Apple and the iPad have things really well thought out and you can manipulate a spreadsheet easily. Other tablets use the Android operating system which I don't think is terribly integrated for work on PC based applications like spreadsheets. Think of it this way: If your cell phone was a just lot bigger, would you want to use it for these work related tasks? That is basically what you have with a tablet.

You might be better served, for work (production) purposes to look into getting an ultra-light laptop that doesn't have a disc drive (something like the Samsung Ultrabook 9 if you live in the PC world, or the MacBook Air if you live and breathe in the Mac universe).

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:32 pm

Satchmo's dead on target. The only tablets designed for doing actual work are the brand-new-to-market Windows 8 units. Still very pricey, but they'll run Microsoft Office.

I second the advice for a new laptop if it's work you want to do. They're very reasonable these days.

On the other hand, tablets are superb for web browsing, simple email, games and movie watching.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:57 pm

^^^ yeah that, both of them. :alien: I travel a decent amount (25%-35%) and I won't even give up my normal size lap for a lightweight one simply because most of the ultra lights have compressed keyboards. I'll deal with the extra lb or two for the comfort of an almost real sized keyboard. But if you are just surfing/consuming and not creating....tablet w/be fine.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:58 am

I see a lot of work being done on iPads at my office. You can run the apple version of office apps and they convert well to ms.
Patience the 81 Adventurewagen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Kubelwagen wrote:I see a lot of work being done on iPads at my office. You can run the apple version of office apps and they convert well to ms.
I use a big bad monster 9 volt 17" HP "I Gots Stuff To Do" laptop with EZ SEE big icons and big fonts. Too old for miniaturization.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:42 am

My favorite tech columnist just wrote an article on comparing iOS devices and Android devices (phones and tablets):

http://www.technofileonline.com/texts/tec021713.html

Although he's been one of Apple's staunchest supporters when it comes to computers and laptops, he thinks that there's a lot to be said for Android devices, particularly with regard to cost.

I got a sneak preview of that column, by the way. After I read it and wrote him back to ask him about how Android's security stacks up against Apple's, he explained that it was true that Android had more exploitable holes in its apps because those apps didn't need to undergo a vetting process at Google. Apple, on the other hand, is the only source for iOS apps, so those apps are checked out. He added that if you went with Android and got your apps solely from the Google store, which also analyzes the apps they sell, you'd have a similar level of security to Apple's.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:23 pm

I've used both, and frankly they aren't too different. The single biggest issue I see is that with android it takes quite a bit more work to figure out just what you're getting. There are multiple versions of Android in active use and it would be easy, if shopping on a budget, to end up with an older version. Not an issue for the informed consumer, the trade off might very well be worth it. Apple's products run a little more $, less than in years gone by, but the lack of variety makes it easier to know what you're getting.

Hopefully we'll continue to have the competition - that'll drive costs down on both sides.
Patience the 81 Adventurewagen

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:38 pm

right now nobody can really touch the Surface Pro.

if it were me, id buy the 10.1 Samsung Galaxy tablet and run Android. best bang for buck out there right now and you can very easily, AND cheaply, add a keyboard to it as well.

in a year I bet the Microsoft Surface tablets will be able to run full Win8 operating systems - no 'mobile' versions of all the software anymore.
1979 California Transporter

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:05 am

I wound up getting an Asus at Best Buy for under $500. Lightweight, small with a touchscreen it is perfect for its intended purpose as a handy part time mobile companion. It could never replace my stone age Clydesdale Laptop. The Win8 operating system has a slight learning curve but after a couple of days it becomes usable. I was really drawn to the Microsoft Surface tablets but the Best Buy guy said there had been a lot of them coming back with problems. He didn't elaborate on what kind.