Other Silliness.

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

satchmo
Old School!

Re: Other Silliness.

Post by satchmo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:51 pm

Silliness, indeed.

This fall, after I got the 2003 MINI Cooper, I had fun putting together a model just about like it, as well as a model of the original Mini. They were slapdash efforts, and it shows, but I thought they would be fun to give to my daughter for display in her room since she is the one who drives the Mini most often.

Over my winter break, I had some extra time to put together a model of a P-61 Black Widow. This aircraft has no special meaning to me. It was in a bunch of boxes my son left here and had no instructions with the kit. Where he got the kit is unknown. Most of the aircraft is black so I thought it would be a good model for practice. I took my time on it, and it turned out okay, but I'm no scale modeler, that's for sure. Painting the frames on the canopies almost drove me nuts.

I'm really just dabbling at this, hoping I can get good enough some day to build a nice P-38 and a B-24, two of the more common aircraft my father worked around during his deployment to Australia during WWII.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:08 am

satchmo wrote:

Tim
I used to build models as a kid, and even built a P-61 too. Unfortunately the fire starter in me blew them all up also. I think later in life I will build models again, it sure is relaxing except when you paint small canopies.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:40 am

You guys are killing me. Instead of working on Frito's Winter Upgrade, I went searching in the shop and found this trove.

The Beaver has top priority, but as you can see, I've barely got past the primer stage.
The Beech comes next. Then the Corsair and lastly "The Beast", The McDonnell Phantom.

Luckily, I'm good at multitasking, as you can see here. :cheers:

"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:04 pm

Satchmo, those look a long ways away from slapdash to me. Balsa seems kinder. I have a Revell Samba I got for my birthday some three years ago now that all I have done with is open up and ogle.

And, like Sylvester, most of the models I did in my youth met their demise to explosives. I even built a small plastic Japanese Zero plane with the firecracker built into the fuselage, with a fuse instead of a prop. Now that I think about it, very appropriate.

Sorry to distract you Glasseye, but youza, nice shop. Still working on mine.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:38 pm

ruckman101 wrote: Sorry to distract you Glasseye, but youza, nice shop. Still working on mine.
neal
As I'm sure you know, a high angle and a super wide lens makes it look grander than it is. Me, I don't look any grander. :geek:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.