Snowmobile!

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Snowmobile!

Post by DjEep » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:34 pm

I just acquired a 1978 JohnDeere Liquifire 440 for pennies. Trying to get 'er ready for some fun. Mostly just want to be able to get to some otherwise inaccessible cool spots in winter. Anybody here have any experience with them?

Now the fun part is going to be dragging it up the hill behind my bus... :king: I bet that'll get some looks and get on some nerves as she climbs up the mountain at 25mph.
" :cussing: redneck hippy!"
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Snowmobile!

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:34 pm

DjEep wrote:Anybody here have any experience with them?
" :cussing: redneck hippy!"
Ski-Doo seems to be popular along power line trails here in the northeast, are you asking if people have had experience with any snowmobile, or John Deere specifically?
ColinYaRedneckHippie
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:41 am

I hope it looks like this:

1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:22 am

My buddy and I bought a John Deere snowmobile. It had the 340 engine in it, I believe. It was in great shape and was super fun.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:20 am

I rode snowmobiles a hell of a lot while growing up in Wisco. We usually rode Arctic Cat and Polaris though I imagine they are all pretty much the same from that era.
1979 California Transporter

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:19 am

@sped: Hahaha, I wish! I should make it look like that. Looks like this tho:

It's super Cool Runnings! Rasta sled!

@Colin: A little of both I guess. And any experiences with towing a 700 pound trailer...

Which brings me to another question. Anyone have an old Rabbit sitting around wasting space? I want a Rabbit rear axle or two so I can build a VW-based trailer complete with hydraulic braking, so I can utilize the OG trailer brake system in my bus.

Which brings up another question, has anyone ever seen a factory ATE trailer brake cylinder with vacuum power assist? I've never met anyone else who has even heard of it.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:47 am

DjEep wrote:has anyone ever seen a factory ATE trailer brake cylinder with vacuum power assist? I've never met anyone else who has even heard of it.
Vacuum assist? What about trailer brakes that use a sliding spring-loaded trailer hitch master cylinder? The inertia of the trailer applies the brakes to the trailer. Gives you a very consistent tongue load under any braking.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:57 am

Man those things are loud! WHAT?!?!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:55 pm

IMHO .... you are over engineering if all you want to tow is one snowmobile. Stock brakes (hey Colin, did I spell 'brakes' correcly :geek: ) on a VW bus are more than ample to stop both the trailer and the bus....the only caveat is that you are not hauling a ton of bricks in the cab.

However, if you want the experience of building a rig with brakes, then by all means, go for it. :joker:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:19 pm

Really, I just want to use the thing in my bus....

Like I said, I've never heard of, nor seen another. But it's definitely ATE, looks like a factory, or at least authorized install, and it's there.

Looks like a power brake master cylinder mounted in the second battery tray, with it's own little reservoir, and a little diaphragm thingy I assume is supposed to be fed by the main brake system as a trigger. The flex lines coming off the diaphragm and the rear of the cylinder have been chopped behind the rear wheel, but seeing as the brake "T" in the rear has obviously been replaced, my assumption is that it was a four-way that ran another line to the diaphragm, triggering the vacuum assist, pushing out the back of the master and to the trailer brakes.

I know the type you speak of Colin, and those systems are ideal, but I'm just weird. I'll probably end up gong that route or brake-less in all reality, but who knows. I know I won't be using electronic brakes, cuz those suckers feel like they'll rip the rear end off if not set just right.

Dunno about stock drums effectively stopping a loaded bus and trailer while descending 7-9% grades in the snow though. Thank Bob for runaway truck ramps!

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Snow could be an issue but a bus can tow a reasonable weight with stock brakes. Just have to be well aware of longer braking distance. Probably even more so with four wheel drums. This setup comes in at about 450lbs and had very little impact on drivability for my bus. Tongue weight is around 40-50lbs.

Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:04 pm

Very clean and simple, I like it. You guys did a good job on that bumper also,
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:44 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:IMHO .... you are over engineering if all you want to tow is one snowmobile. Stock brakes (hey Colin, did I spell 'brakes' correcly :geek: ) on a VW bus are more than ample to stop both the trailer and the bus....the only caveat is that you are not hauling a ton of bricks in the cab.

However, if you want the experience of building a rig with brakes, then by all means, go for it. :joker:
Yes! Good brakes help maintain a straight bumper.
I'll give you a break, a good brake can help straighten a broken bumper due to a bad break from bad brakes.
Colin :scratch:

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:42 pm

Go for a Mk2/Mk3 rear axle, shoud be easier to find these days. Heck, go for one with disc brakes. :-)
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!