No VW's over here

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: No VW's over here

Post by hambone » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:22 am

I like the IAC sponsor on the rear. A long way from home.
I'd imagine most of your time over there isn't dedicated to hobby car racing, stay safe.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:38 am

hambone wrote:I like the IAC sponsor on the rear. A long way from home.
I'd imagine most of your time over there isn't dedicated to hobby car racing, stay safe.

You are correct, we do lots more than that. It is just a hobby and something a few of us pursue over here. You ought to see the chess set I am making out of .50 cal brass here, now that is trench art! On a side note here is a funny thing I found today, Herbie was in Star Wars, did you miss it?:

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:23 pm

Well the Baja is still not back on the track, but I ordered parts for it. Wider axels, longer ball point screws, and locktite to hold it all together. We'll see how it holds together in trials tomorrow. Here is a few pictures to hold you all over:

An MD530 flying overhead.

A controlled detonation, a big boom.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:53 am

Sylvester wrote:Well the Baja is still not back on the track, but I ordered parts for it. Wider axles, longer ball point screws, and locktite to hold it all together. We'll see how it holds together in trials tomorrow.

Are these custom wider axles for the bug alone , or for all RC vehicles under the differing body shells?
Sylvester wrote: Here is a big boom.

Boys will be boys.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:30 pm

Well, I almost retired from racing last week. I modified the Bug for bigger tires in the back for stability, cut some of the shocks springs from in front to allow it to get lower in a curve, re-inforced the rear suspension and took it to the race. First off the steering tightened up most likely to dirt. Then I was clobbered by two cars on the left side, and busted a ball joint that dropped the rear axle, losing the driveshaft and the springs on both ends into the loose Afghan dirt of the track. Never did find the springs, and this happened on the first lap of the race. That about did it for me, I fought the crappy engineering and the $300 cars and lost, I was disappointed I could not even finish a race in two weeks. Then after moping around for a day, I figured out a solution, maybe. I will get some pictures of it and let you all see what I come up with. If this does not work, then retirement begins next week, well maybe.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 01, 2013 7:09 pm

Sylvester wrote:Well, I almost retired from racing last week. I modified the Bug for bigger tires in the back for stability, cut some of the shocks springs from in front to allow it to get lower in a curve, re-inforced the rear suspension and took it to the race. First off the steering tightened up most likely to dirt. Then I was clobbered by two cars on the left side, and busted a ball joint that dropped the rear axle, losing the driveshaft and the springs on both ends into the loose Afghan dirt of the track. Never did find the springs, and this happened on the first lap of the race. That about did it for me, I fought the crappy engineering and the $300 cars and lost, I was disappointed I could not even finish a race in two weeks. Then after moping around for a day, I figured out a solution, maybe. I will get some pictures of it and let you all see what I come up with. If this does not work, then retirement begins next week, well maybe.
What are these crap ball joints made of? Why is your car breaking? Do we need to send a letter to NHTSA? Cuz I will.
Colin

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu May 02, 2013 7:20 am

Amskeptic wrote: What are these crap ball joints made of? Why is your car breaking? Do we need to send a letter to NHTSA? Cuz I will.
Colin
The balls are steel, but the cups are plastic. I think I solved the issue by going back to the stock tires but extending the axles. Also my steering is wicked tight, too tight to turn easily. I am trying to figure out why. I will get a picture tomorrow of my Bug now. I hope to be running 24 laps this Sunday. I am pretty excited but out here other than leaving, there is not much that get you excited, ya know.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu May 02, 2013 2:42 pm

Sylvester wrote: The balls are steel, but the cups are plastic.
Gypsie's gotta write a song with that as the hook. :bounce:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 03, 2013 11:19 am

glasseye wrote:
Sylvester wrote: The balls are steel, but the cups are plastic.
Gypsie's gotta write a song with that as the hook. :bounce:
Oh my . . . the imagery just exploded.
Colin

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun May 05, 2013 6:27 am

Did horrible today, one lap and steering went with an axle. Back to the drawing board. And yes, the imagery, ugh.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 07, 2013 8:57 am

Sylvester wrote:Did horrible today, one lap and steering went with an axle. Back to the drawing board. And yes, the imagery, ugh.
What are these RC car people selling?
What do your competitors have?
Is yours cheaper or something?

See, that is what made old Volkswagens so amazing. A "cheap" car with serious strength and quality.
They lost their recipe after Heinz Nordhoff died.
Colin

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri May 10, 2013 12:40 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Sylvester wrote:Did horrible today, one lap and steering went with an axle. Back to the drawing board. And yes, the imagery, ugh.
What are these RC car people selling?
What do your competitors have?
Is yours cheaper or something?

See, that is what made old Volkswagens so amazing. A "cheap" car with serious strength and quality.
They lost their recipe after Heinz Nordhoff died.
Colin
They have Traxxas and $300 plus cars, mine is a $150 that is not nearly as durable. Their cars can literally jump eight feet on ramps and land in gravel and drive away. Mine jumps two feet and drops the steering. It is not made for hard dirt jumps, gravel and steel ramps at medium speed. However I thought it would just be slower, not plagued by silly engineering issues, such as ball joints unscrewing from axles or transaxle covers coming unscrewed and dropping off. I ordered too soon, should have gotten one of the better built cars. I think I am near getting 24 laps from it, will try it today. Still have slop in the steering, just like my Bus.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Fri May 10, 2013 5:48 am

You will be home next month, won't you?

I miss you!
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat May 11, 2013 8:12 am

Elwood wrote:You will be home next month, won't you?

I miss you!
Yes I come home next month in the middle of June. I did try to post up here as much as I could, even with just silly things. I will continue until I leave, just to let you all know how it is going.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:27 am

Hey out there, I am still here in Western Afghanistan but the time runs short on my SouthWestern Asia vacation! I found a link of Afghanistan pictures from the 1960's, holy crap this place has changed since then. So very sad, it seems like this place was bombed back a few decades. In the photos there is this picture, so there WERE VW's here!:

Here is the link. Very interesting. They even have pictures of the Bamiyan valley where the giant Buddha's stood. I have flown over the valley and seen where they once were. This is such an interesting place, but there is still a lot of violence going on. We get fired at with rockets every other day now. Take a look at this, it is a comparison from the above link and 2007. Very sad.

http://www.minds.com/blog/view/39036/th ... to-believe