Winter Digs

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Winter Digs

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:17 pm

This option rushed up on me when my prior two possibilities each closed down.
Brooklyn NY was lovely but the perfectly normal chaos of the city still rattled my few remaining brain cells like a Automobile-CD-Player-On-A-Rough-Road-Skippity-Skippity. Imagine trying to write about electricity and electrons and motors while, outside, you have a conversation going on a squeaky scaffold:
"HEY MARCOS!"
"QUE PASA?"
"SU ESPOSA, HEH? ELLA VIENE CON NOSOTROS A CENAR?"
"I DUNNO YET!"

So, I was down in Georgia on November 2nd or so, when I called my long-ago first girlfriend and her mom the amazing octogenarian, "can I stay with you guys this winter?"
"Of COURSE, you're FAMILY."
Here is the studio set-up, as of this morning. That door to the right plummets you down the stairs:

The stairs are on the right. This dining area has no electricity. You use kerosene lamps or candles. My cactus is taking a breather on the window sill to the left. The door on the right leads into the kitchen:

The kitchen has a dog on the floor (112 human years old), an assortment of incredibly dangerous heavy cast iron pans that sometimes decide to drop. The wood stove is just visible at the far end next to the door that has seen hundreds of cords of wood pass over its threshhold:

Over that door, blocked in the prior picture, is one of thousands of pieces of quirky art that litter the house and property:

Perfectly bad photograph of the living room which has stone walls and a stone fireplace:

Artier picture of the living room mirror showing you the luxuriant thirty year-old plants blocked by the cat-rent lampshade in the prior picture:

View out the kitchen window towards the lattice fence and shed:

Here is the Yamaha upright piano with a quite excellent lower end but worn action in the mid-octaves and I need to tune it AGAIN now that we have this seasonal change. My next tune is going to be audited by a true pianist in the coming weeks. I will let you know my score. I told him, "be merciless, you don't want me to run amok about the country tuning other pianos incorrectly" :

This conversation with the pianist/carpenter, by the way, occurred at the general store down on 28-A where many many many years ago, Amy and I used to buy breakfast fixings before I would drive back to Los Angeles where I ran my business. She has decades-long devoted friends many of whom remember me from twenty friggen years ago, some from only 15 years ago when I built the big lattice fence over the summer after I shut down my business for good.

OK, art supplies! Unpack tonight!
First diagram is dedicated to Meg/cheesehead,
The Hot-Start Relay, weeks and weeks too late!
First painting is dedicated to dtrumbo, Kids Staring At Bus Engine (I hope he *really like$ it*)
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Reid
Getting Hooked!

Re: Winter Digs

Post by Reid » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:19 pm

Seems like a great winter spot.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

That looks cozy, you seem to be always surrounded by cats and piano's.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:03 am

Ah, now there are some folks that know how to live in their home. Comfy.

(Since we moved into too much house, Ann, bless her heart has been running around cleaning every spot as it happens, or coercing me to...Driving me crazy.)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:55 pm

Reid wrote:Seems like a great winter spot.
And the very best company I could hope for. Conversations about the Gnostics and Faust and "that stupid John Boehner who does he think he is?" and the design "failures" of the Universe (I always defend the Universe against criticism), and green energy projects for the house and conspiracy theories against the demise of the EV-1 electric car by GM, all of this while she continues to draw and draw and draw by the wood stove with Martin Bashir, Chris Matthews, Al Sharpton, Ed Schultz, Rachel Maddow, and Luke Russert offering advice in the background.

This house has clearly made its peace with the surroundings over the past couple of hundred years.
Colin

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:21 am

Sounds like a small piece of paradise to me. All you're missing is a heated garage and a VW, although I am sure the sabbatical is welcomed to some degree.

If you get "VW sick" feel free to roll over and up to RI and help this poor hapless fool figure out his lingering running issues. I'd blame my inability to deal with this (these) poor running issue(s) that I have yet to get to the bottom of on laziness except for the part-time+ work, graduate classes, two kids and accompanying chaos, two dogs who need endless walking, and assorted other brick-a-brack of life that seems to get in the way...and probably a little laziness to boot.

Enjoy the tranquility and I know we are all looking forward to the fruits of your labor.
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:36 pm

jimbear wrote:Sounds like a small piece of paradise to me. All you're missing is a heated garage and a VW, although I am sure the sabbatical is welcomed to some degree.

If you get "VW sick" feel free to roll over and up to RI and help this poor hapless fool figure out his lingering running issues. I'd blame my inability to deal with this (these) poor running issue(s) that I have yet to get to the bottom of on laziness except for the part-time+ work, graduate classes, two kids and accompanying chaos, two dogs who need endless walking, and assorted other brick-a-brack of life that seems to get in the way...and probably a little laziness to boot.

Enjoy the tranquility and I know we are all looking forward to the fruits of your labor.
If Poor Hapless has a warm garage, I will consider it. If Poor Hapless does not object to being the *Primary Wrench* (no fooling around here, I am not damaging the drawing hand fine motor skills), I will consider it. You got warm garage 60* + and good lights? You got coffee? See, I am finally channeling my inner Prima Donna.
Colin