What I Did After My Vacation . . .

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: What I Did After My Vacation . . .

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:18 pm

til there is 3 ft of snow and its -20F outside.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:51 am

jimbear wrote:Colin,
Are you wintering in Upstate, NY? Looks like a comfy little joint...
I am wintering in the Catskills near Very Trendy Woodstock where Therapy studios are the major business, AromaTherapeuticMassageAndCandle Shop, or Snowplowing Available plus Astrology and Tarot Readings signs.

Fricken snow,
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:28 pm

Amskeptic wrote: I am wintering in the Catskills...Fricken snow,
Colin

What? WHAT? No desert? The world has come asunder.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:35 am

Amskeptic wrote:
I am wintering in the Catskills near Very Trendy Woodstock where Therapy studios are the major business, AromaTherapeuticMassageAndCandle Shop, or Snowplowing Available plus Astrology and Tarot Readings signs.

Fricken snow,
Colin
Anywhere near Catskill New York? My family came from there in the 1820's, there are still kin up there according to the phone book.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:21 pm

Amskeptic wrote:

Fricken snow,
Colin
Love the area. Used to drive our buses around there quite a bit when I was a kid and bus cruising in NY and VT was our luxury du jour. Visited The Bands Big Pink in our buses on several occasions and camped in the woods up the road from the curve where Dyaln wrecked his Triumph. I wrote a series of short stories back in college inspired by a candle shop in Woodstock...there used to be a shop in town with a mountain of wax and candles on top out in front...it was like their shop sculpture/hallmark. The character in the story, Froheil, was a former Neil Cassidy type (who survived and mellowed) and had his home bases in Woodstock and Oregon. He traveled in between with a fellaheen fascade and a deeply spiritual and philosophical inner core. He drove an early 60's camper with a trailer and loved to live and drive. He made his candles in his workshops and sold them on his journeys driving in between. In the stories he had adopted Muir's phrase "love and good roads." He had a lady friend living in Oregon based on one of Kesey's characters from a short story, Micro Dotty. I actually stole the character and her mode of transport/home, a black '50's splitty. I do not recall the name I gave her in my stories. Look at that, thanks for inspiring me to dredge this up from the recesses of my brain.

Enjoy the winter and stay warm.
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:14 pm

The candle store you're talking about is CandleStock, and it's still there and in operation today, and the pillar of molten wax is still there as well, and more is added everyday. It was lit in 1970 and hasn't gone out yet....

http://www.candlestock.com/About-Us_ep_7.html

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:31 pm

20+ years since I was there. Cool.
'74 Hardtop Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:38 pm

Vdubtech wrote:The candle store you're talking about is CandleStock, and it's still there and in operation today, and the pillar of molten wax is still there as well, and more is added everyday. It was lit in 1970 and hasn't gone out yet....

Man, how are you all up on my local lore down here?

I am enjoying the complaining about the cold and the dripping pine trees in the cold grey slushiness and will not leave the wood stove for very long before I come back to it to thaw out. I just got my desktop computer back up this evening. I cannot establish a local network for file-sharing between the XP desktop and the Win 7 laptop. I have tried and tried. Will post some pictures of this place and my Winter2013 studio.
Colin

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:56 am

jimbear wrote:I wrote a series of short stories back in college inspired by a candle shop in Woodstock...there used to be a shop in town with a mountain of wax and candles on top out in front...it was like their shop sculpture/hallmark. The character in the story, Froheil, was a former Neil Cassidy type (who survived and mellowed) and had his home bases in Woodstock and Oregon. He traveled in between with a fellaheen fascade and a deeply spiritual and philosophical inner core. He drove an early 60's camper with a trailer and loved to live and drive. He made his candles in his workshops and sold them on his journeys driving in between. In the stories he had adopted Muir's phrase "love and good roads." He had a lady friend living in Oregon based on one of Kesey's characters from a short story, Micro Dotty. I actually stole the character and her mode of transport/home, a black '50's splitty. I do not recall the name I gave her in my stories. Look at that, thanks for inspiring me to dredge this up from the recesses of my brain.
Can you post one?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:28 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Vdubtech wrote: ht

I am enjoying the complaining about the cold and the dripping pine trees in the cold grey slushiness and will not leave the wood stove for very long before I come back to it to thaw out.
Colin
you need to build one of these gizmos

http://www.richsoil.com/rocket-stove-mass-heater.jsp
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:55 am

Sylvester wrote: Can you post one?
Suffice it to say, the hard copies were lost over the years and the electronic record is trapped on old 3" discs that were formatted for the old-old macs with the black and green screens (circa 1993). If I could even find the discs I'd be lucky to get the info off if I could discover a means. I have thought about starting fresh as the character is still quite alive in my head, but alas---time...
'74 Hardtop Westy

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:12 am

jimbear wrote: Suffice it to say, the hard copies were lost over the years and the electronic record is trapped on old 3" discs that were formatted for the old-old macs with the black and green screens (circa 1993). If I could even find the discs I'd be lucky to get the info off if I could discover a means.
I bet we can get them off those still, anyone have an old Mac?

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:17 pm

I have a 1998 one but no floppy drive! Still runs fine for email and forum posting.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:58 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Vdubtech wrote:The candle store you're talking about is CandleStock, and it's still there and in operation today, and the pillar of molten wax is still there as well, and more is added everyday. It was lit in 1970 and hasn't gone out yet....

Man, how are you all up on my local lore down here?
Colin
I LOVE the Catskills!! I've been to Woodstock quite a few times, most of them in the Bus. There's a great steakhouse in Kingston my wife and I used to go to called Roudigans. Lots of great little towns in the area and the mountains are beautiful also. The Woodstock Museum in Bethel is a good time if you ever get over that way. I love a nice fall cruise through the Catskills.....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:57 pm

Vdubtech wrote: I LOVE the Catskills!! I've been to Woodstock quite a few times, most of them in the Bus. There's a great steakhouse in Kingston my wife and I used to go to called Roudigans. Lots of great little towns in the area and the mountains are beautiful also. The Woodstock Museum in Bethel is a good time if you ever get over that way. I love a nice fall cruise through the Catskills.....
If you find yourself in Kingston, give me a holler, we can check out Roudigans, arright?
Colin