Not a VW, but I liked it nonetheless.

Best,

ML

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/24/tech/girl ... ?hpt=hp_c2

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: A Nice Story in Not-So-Nice Times

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:30 am

Nice story but she should have picked a VW Bus!
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Lanval wrote:Not a VW, but I liked it nonetheless.

Best,

ML

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/24/tech/girl ... ?hpt=hp_c2

This is the good side of the internet, networking and expanding our knowledge. Bleyseng, give her a ride in a Porsche 914-6 when she's done with the Fiero.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:20 pm

I liked the story too. BUT WHAT IS ABOUT CARS KNOWN TO CATCH FIRE THAT IS SUCH AN ATTRACTION?

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:05 am

My friend Chris has a teenage daughter. He's told me that, when she gets around to asking him for a car, he will say, "Here's a box of engine parts, all ready for assembly. I will be happy to help you build the engine for your car." His theory is that the more acquainted with a VW engine she is, the better she will take care of it.

I have no doubt that she'll do it. Their family is mechanically inclined. Her younger sister's hobby is welding.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:55 am

JLT wrote:My friend Chris has a teenage daughter. He's told me that, when she gets around to asking him for a car, he will say, "Here's a box of engine parts, all ready for assembly. I will be happy to help you build the engine for your car." His theory is that the more acquainted with a VW engine she is, the better she will take care of it.

I have no doubt that she'll do it. Their family is mechanically inclined. Her younger sister's hobby is welding.
Sort of related.....I was musing this morning how much I enjoyed my high school shop class. I learned woodwork, brazing, plastics, electricity etc. and brought home some really great projects. But the real benefit was the empowerment gained by not viewing my surroundings as a complete mystery. I wonder if our young people are suffering from no longer having this type of exposure unless it comes from a parent or mentor.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:18 pm

RussellK wrote:
JLT wrote:My friend Chris has a teenage daughter. He's told me that, when she gets around to asking him for a car, he will say, "Here's a box of engine parts, all ready for assembly. I will be happy to help you build the engine for your car." His theory is that the more acquainted with a VW engine she is, the better she will take care of it.

Sort of related.....I was musing this morning how much I enjoyed my high school shop class. I learned woodwork, brazing, plastics, electricity etc. and brought home some really great projects. But the real benefit was the empowerment gained by not viewing my surroundings as a complete mystery. I wonder if our young people are suffering from no longer having this type of exposure unless it comes from a parent or mentor.
Good point! I remember how powerless my step-dad was whenever the car so much as hiccupped. I love having a passing acquaintance with electricity plumbing structural engineering civil engineering cars too. It makes it all so much more amazing.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:08 pm

Hydraulics pneumatics physics chemistry math (sorry) and carpentry