Important 60s Films ~ recommendations

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Re: Important 60s Films ~ recommendations

Post by whc03grady » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:48 pm

Cindy wrote:It took place in the 50s...
Actually, it took place in the 40s. December 1949 in fact, except for the framing device, set in what is apparently a mental institution some months later.
Cindy wrote:...but the disillusionment Holden felt led, in part, to the later social "revolution."

I asked about it because Holden struck me as a young man set apart--not willing or even able to identify with larger trends. He was dangerously introspective. He seemed to have lost his faith in society, in any form (culture, counter-culture, or otherwise). And the book itself was written as a human story--not a political message. Salinger wanted nothing to do with the effect it had on "the masses," God bless him. It's more soulful than a political movement could ever be.
I think you're pretty much right about the rest of this. I just had to nitpick about the date.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:39 pm

whc03grady wrote:
Cindy wrote:It took place in the 50s...
Actually, it took place in the 40s. December 1949 in fact, except for the framing device, set in what is apparently a mental institution some months later.
Cindy wrote:...but the disillusionment Holden felt led, in part, to the later social "revolution."

I asked about it because Holden struck me as a young man set apart--not willing or even able to identify with larger trends. He was dangerously introspective. He seemed to have lost his faith in society, in any form (culture, counter-culture, or otherwise). And the book itself was written as a human story--not a political message. Salinger wanted nothing to do with the effect it had on "the masses," God bless him. It's more soulful than a political movement could ever be.
I think you're pretty much right about the rest of this. I just had to nitpick about the date.
Cool that you caught it. :thumbright:

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:30 pm

Well, if you going back to the 50s then "On The Road" by Jack Kerouac has to be on your list; seminal novel of the beat generation. Written in 1951 and published in 1957.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:31 am

There are a couple of issues surrounding the choice of the book; as a side-note, I read it for the first time 2 years ago, and had an experience that I've had before with other things, and it has to do with 2 issues: 1. there's a time and place for many things; 2. Build up prior to experience often leads to let-down. Here's what I mean:

I had heard for years about how awesome The Watchmen comic was, and when I finally read it, I created a time and space where I could enjoy it thoroughly without interruptions from the outside. My response was singularly ambivalent; I wondered what all the fuss was about. After thinking about it a bit, I realized that it was seminal in it's time but that I head been exposed to so much that followed on The Watchmen and built on it, that it seemed less than groundbreaking. I had the same feeling when I read Catcher in the Rye; I mostly had the sense that I would've liked it a lot more if I was 16. At 44, I felt like Mr. Antolini perhaps, who recognizes Holden's issues, but but doesn't feel them. I have that experience also with things that used to be important to me when I was younger, but which don't speak as clearly to my needs or desires now, at 44.

So here are the reasons I chose the book:

1. I think as high-schoolers, they'll respond better to his experience of disaffection, maybe. These are not American kids, so they may respond very differently than a typical American audience, but they'll get his viewpoint nonetheless, I think, because they're being asked the same thing as Holden: grow into a more complex world than the one we told them about when they were small.

2. It's a standard text, and that matters when we're trying to get our courses accredited by the UC system. Furthermore, I'm a bit of an old-schooler in the realm of the canon, and think all things being equal, they should read books which have a history of reception in the academic fields.*

3. They are all non-native speakers of a varying range of skills. Because the book is written in the voice of a teenager (even one from a clearly different period) it should be a bit easier to read. Trust me, I can't wait see what happens when I unleash Wolfe on them... Can you imagine learning English for two years, and then reading Hunter S. Thompson?!

*I went to Oregon for an English degree in the late 80's right at the height of the canon wars; it's not the sort of thing the instructors talked about with the students, so I only realized it later. At the time I just remember thinking, "Gosh we read a lot of books by women and minorities!" I appreciated some aspects of it (literature of the Northwest remains, 25 years after the fact, one of my all-time favorites) and it certainly opened me up to viewpoints that I didn't get in a small logging town in Western Oregon, but at the same time, it left me feeling that I had missed out on a lot, too. I remember reading Sarah Winnemucca's Life Among the Paiutes, and being yelled at by hardcore feminists about how men didn't have the right to talk about the female experience, and wondering why I could'nt read something, you know, a bit more mainstream.

As far as the dates, I know it's a bit slippery, but the central theme of disaffection with the world of our parents that Holden's experience expresses reasonably ties in with the later 60's rebellion, as Cindy has nicely noted above. I see them as points on a timeline. That his experience is personal rather than public is OK; he's pushing against the social expectations of his time, and I think it's reasonable to see in that the seeds of a larger revolution. If it's a conversation people would like to have, we can talk about the relationship between the beats (whom I have always seen as more personal, less interested in social movements, though Kerouac talks about being "mad" for a lifestyle which might be seen as more broadly social) and the later 60s movements, maybe in a separate post. Cindy, is that something you could start (or are interested to start)?

The goal was to find a way that I could build a unit around an accepted high school literary piece that also had a unified theme which drew on a variety of supporting pieces (this is largely do the accrediting process). I tried to find a copy of The Boat Rocker but they're very hard to find.

I actually thought about using a book from my generation (Generation X by Douglas Copeland) but I really wanted something that was relevant to the period. It felt dishonest to try and talk about the "Youth and Rebellion" in America with something NOT from the 60s. And there are a HELL of a lot of great books. If you asked my father, he would've said Catch 22 by Joseph Heller ~ as a pilot in Vietnam, I know he identified with the book. Others that seemed logical to me, but felt to be beyond the abilities of the students and/or not the sort of thing that I ought to be teaching them:

Stranger in Strange Land (a personal favorite, but probably too naughty)
Slaughterhouse 5
A Canticle for Liebowitz read that in HS, and liked it
Silent Spring
Sometimes a Great Notion/One Flew Over the Cuckoos nest (local boy makes good ~ I used to see the bus on my bike rides near his house)
The Crying of Lot 49 They would never, ever understand it
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings belongs in the 3rd unit, with To Kill a Mockingbird
Cool Hand Luke Good film to match!
Fiddler on the Roof A better film to match! Musicals so totally 60s!
A Clockwork Orange If English speaking students need a glossary, not realistic here

I hope that explains what I'm trying to do a bit better. I can change the book still if I want, but it's hard to see that there's anything that will be as short, accessible and relevant as The Catcher so for now I'll stick with it. Thanks for the many suggestions too ~ I'll check them out throughout the fall, and see what works.

Best,

Michael L

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:37 am

satchmo wrote:Well, if you going back to the 50s then "On The Road" by Jack Kerouac has to be on your list; seminal novel of the beat generation. Written in 1951 and published in 1957.

Tim
Tim, I would love to teach it. That's another book I read too late. I was a bit old for it when I read it, but I definitely understood why it was so important to young people at the time. I "got" it, you could say. In my opinion, the slang is a not-insurmountable issue, though it would difficult for the students (who are all English learners to varying degrees) I think the narrative and the context are issues, though again, I could probably do it ~ just don't know how effective I'd be.

Best,

ML

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:39 am

RussellK wrote:While I like all the films you've selected you might also consider "Wild In The Streets" as a candidate to illustrate the generational divide. I also remember a book "Only Lovers Left Alive" that was popular then. I don't think it was particularly well written (after all it has been 40+ years and I'm just happy I recall the title) but it too might illustrate the divide.
Best to you. Be sure and let us know how the class went.

You know some before and after photos of paricipants from that era would surely offer some comic relief. Hey Barb. Got any?
Thanks ~ I'll check both of those out.

ML

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:32 am

Cindy wrote:
whc03grady wrote: I'm curious as to the inclusion of Catcher in the Rye as well; most of its impact was in the 1950s, not 60s as I recall from the many things I've read about the book.
It took place in the 50s, but the disillusionment Holden felt led, in part, to the later social "revolution."

Cindy
Cindy,

I thought your question deserved a more detailed response than the one I gave in my longer post ~

I would argue that Holden's disillusionment is more direct in two ways; the first is that the anxiety that post-war America felt about itself was fairly widespread, and started earlier than most would give it credit for. The widespread success of both the book and the film The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit by the mid-50's suggest that the "American Dream" that many experience post WW II was an illusion ~ a fiction that paper over much that was amiss. Now we know about things like PTSD, and can look back and see the cracks forming early; I would put The Best Years of our Lives in this same category.

The second is that his real problem with society centers firmly on an issue that is represented in both of those films (and Kerouac's On the Road I think): the wide gulf between the mouthed solemnities of the adults who proclaim that "all is well" while all the while underneath the mask of social order, things were falling apart. References like The Rolling Stone's "mother's little helper" suggest that it was apparent to the kids that Mom n' Dad weren't as happy as they made out to be. The youthful anger at the difference between what parents said, and what was really going was, I think, a real anger ~ and emerged right along with the more adult disaffection that Flannel and Lives express. This anger is essentially the source of a film that I would love, LOVE to watch in this class: Rebel Without a Cause. The real irony is that he does have a cause, but society doesn't take him seriously ~ they are, in Holden's terms, "Phonies".

I don't think it's too much of a jump to move from the more local, personal rebellion of Holden and Jim to the larger rebellion of the 60s, in which popular youth culture gave expression to the vastly larger number of kids in the Baby Boomer generation ~ and once they recognized the power of numbers, what was personal became political; what was rebellion became a movement. So, given that I couldn't think of a book that expressed the personal experience of disaffection from the perspective of the youth from the 60s, I chose Catcher because I feel that it links strongly with the theme of personal rebellion.

Some of the other issues in the book seem relevant to me. Holden's conflict between his physical desires, more easily fulfilled by sex without emotion, and his emotional desires, more easily fulfilled by companionship with emotional connection, suggest to me a precursor to the sexual revolution that was to come in the 60s ~ how to balance physicality against the needs of social stability, trust, relationships, etc. It seemed like a nice thematic link that moves from a local issue in the book, to a social issue in the 60s.

I also knew that Catcher was an important book for people in the 60s. It's not by chance that Salinger is the inspiration for the Terence Mann character in Field of Dreams, one of the most powerful films about the 60s, as an time period that affected people, to emerge in my youth. Salinger is actually the author being sought in the novel Shoeless Joe written by W. P. Kinsella. Kinsella felt a connection I guess, with Salinger, because Ray Kinsella was a character in a Salinger short story, and Richard Kinsella is a character in The Catcher in the Rye. When you see how they talk about "Mann" in the film, it's clear that Kinsella, at least, thought Salinger was an important writer to the people in the 60s. I quote the Sparknotes entry on the context for the novel, not because I think it's awesome, but because it can be considered to be so conservative as to represent a widely accepted view:

"Though controversial, the novel appealed to a great number of people. It was a hugely popular bestseller and general critical success. Salinger’s writing seemed to tap into the emotions of readers in an unprecedented way. As countercultural revolt began to grow during the 1950s and 1960s, The Catcher in the Rye was frequently read as a tale of an individual’s alienation within a heartless world. Holden seemed to stand for young people everywhere, who felt themselves beset on all sides by pressures to grow up and live their lives according to the rules, to disengage from meaningful human connection, and to restrict their own personalities and conform to a bland cultural norm. Many readers saw Holden Caulfield as a symbol of pure, unfettered individuality in the face of cultural oppression."

That's pretty much how I'm going to approach it too, though I'm open to further discussions about it, especially if we hit on something that might fit better. I might add, that in writing this, it was the first time I considered Rebel Without a Cause ~ that's worth thinking about, though it's not 60s per se.

Thank you for your thoughts ~ I'm interested to hear what you think of my approach that I've given here. I don't hold it as "right" but rather as an explanation of how I'm thinking. Feel free to peel away the bits and pieces and see if you agree, disagree or think we might look in a different direction.

I need to go to sleep now, thanks for wading through this. I await your insights, and thank you for your willingness to take up these questions.

Michael L

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:56 am

I was going to say Dr. Strangelove, but you already listed that.
Perhaps Last Summer with Richard Thomas and Barbara Hershey, which is not necessarily important in and of itself, but could be used to contrast the '60s culture shift from the campy, pre-fab "beach" movies of the early '60s to hardcore, coming of age examinations of the later decade. (Strong sexual content.)

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:47 pm

Lanval wrote:Greetings all,

I am teaching a unit that is based on the 60s youth counter-culture. The core texts are:

Introductory Texts
Blowin’ in the Wind; Dylan (popular music)
The Know-Nothing Bohemians; Podohoretz (non-fiction essay)
I'd add Steven Stills's "For What It's Worth" and Joni Mitchell's "Woodstock" and maybe the Youngblood classic "Get Together" ... but maybe that's just me, because I saw them perform it in a free concert in Provo Park in Berkeley in 1970, and that scene sort of summed up the whole Berkeley experience for me.
Primary Texts
The Catcher in the Rye; Salinger (novel)
I'd add The Strawberry Statement (the book, not the movie)
Concluding Texts

I would like to show a movie that is relevant and enlightening for my students.
The movie Alice's Restaurant did a good job, IMHO, of capturing some of the sentiment that characterized the counter-culture. I can't think of any others off hand. I don't think Easy Riser really got it, except sort of second-hand. The same thing could be said of Hair.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:27 pm

Hi, Michael. I'll respond to this as soon as I can. Just been busy.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:11 pm

Cindy wrote:Hi, Michael. I'll respond to this as soon as I can. Just been busy.

Cindy
Only if you want to, and no hurry. I just wanted to give you some insight into my process. I would appreciate your ideas, your critique if that's really what needs to happen, so that I might have a more nuanced sense of the things I'm talking about; I don't know if that will carry over to the students, but at least I'll feel less like a fraud!

ML