Department of Peace

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Department of Peace

Post by grandfatherjim » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:44 am

There is a small group in Canada lobbying for the government to create a Ministry of Peace, which would contain various fragments of other ministries as well as having new responsibilities. http://www.departmentofpeace.ca/overview/
I have been to one of their public forums and like the concept. At an all-candidates night, I asked the 7 (federal) candidates running in our area whether they would support the formation of such a department. Most gave long-winded responses about how impractical it would be. A couple (including the marijuana party candidate), simply said "Yes"; which is very tough for politicians to do.
Now I have a meeting set up to meet my local member of parliament where I am morally obligated to tactfully and diplomatically trash his government's track record and ask him to run as an independent, in which case, I might vote for him.
I want to bring the ministry of Peace idea up again, and am wondering how to plant the seed in such a way that he doesn't just see the logistical difficulties but rather embraces the concept and commits to representing his constituents who actually want this.
So I guess the question is how to convince him it will help him get re-elected? I know already that petitions aren't worth the paper they're written on. Maybe I should invite him to be a guest at a public forum on this topic...other ideas?

Jim
For reference - Nepal has a Ministry of Peace and Reconstruction http://www.peace.gov.np/mandates-18-en.html. A few other countries have them and quite a few are trying to get them going.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Re: Department of Peace

Post by RussellK » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:00 pm

A Ministry of Peace is impractical? Thats like saying clean air and water has it's disadvantages.