Anyone like Atlantic Puffins?

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Anyone like Atlantic Puffins?

Post by Randy in Maine » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:37 am

Here is a weblink to nesting puffins on an island outside of Acadia Ntional Park . Kind of cool.

http://explore.org/#!/live-cams/player/ ... burrow-cam
79 VW Bus

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: Anyone like Atlantic Puffins?

Post by Sylvester » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:40 am

Randy in Maine wrote:Here is a weblink to nesting puffins on an island outside of Acadia Ntional Park . Kind of cool.

http://explore.org/#!/live-cams/player/ ... burrow-cam
Very cool, I was startled when it came up with a live puffin! This is interesting, they stay at sea, must be rough during hurricanes and storms.

Puffins do not come to land outside of the breeding season, flying, swimming or riding the ocean surface throughout the year regardless of weather.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:33 pm

I have no reason to dislike them, but haven't met any.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:35 pm

Too cool. What a puffy puffin chick. Whoa momma!

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:32 pm

yes-- thanks
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:23 am

When I used to live in Iceland we'd go out to the Westman Island (lovely little volcanic rocks in the far N. Atlantic) in August. The puffin chicks were left on the hillside by their parents then and expected to find their way to the sea. Many chicks would come down in the town at dusk (about midnight) and kids, of all ages, would grab them and keep them in a box until releasing them the next morning on the beach. Fun times.
Patience the 81 Adventurewagen

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:45 am

Puffin is gone:

BURROW UPDATE

We are sad to inform you that "Petey" the baby puffin passed away on Friday, July 20th likely due to a shift in the area’s fish populations. We are all thankful for the opportunity to learn from him and encourage you to stay tuned to the Puffin Loafing Ledge and Osprey Cams. To see a full statement from Audubon and learn more, go to the bird blog. Watch for the parents returning to the burrow and protecting it from intruders.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.