Ok Bike Riders

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: Ok Bike Riders

Post by SlowLane » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:59 pm

RussellK wrote:And chamois butter works not only to reduce friction on your nethers
Bag Balm. It's da bomb. :bom:
Seriously, it's the preferred anti-chafing goop of my insane-distance randonnnering friends.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:15 am

bretski wrote:You must ride commando with bike shorts...and you must wash them after every ride.
I did not know this, and never have. Huh
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:37 am

Sylvester wrote:I did not know this, and never have. Huh
Here's why: The chamois is designed to protect your bits from chafing against seams and such, as well as moisture control. If you don't go commando, you are adding another layer (usually cotton), that holds moisture, and adds additional seams.

Washing the shorts after every ride prevents bacterial build-up that can lead to "other" problems. Bottom :bootyshake: line, commando only!

Many people prefer bib-shorts that keep the chamois snug up against you. They also make bathroom breaks more of a challenge, which is why I personally don't wear them. Chamois butter, bag balm, and the like are another layer of defense. These products are good for long rides in humid conditions.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Reid
Getting Hooked!

Post by Reid » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:07 pm

Any tips on seat adjustment from veteran bikers?

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:11 am

Reid wrote:Any tips on seat adjustment from veteran bikers?
Height wise: you should have the slightest bend in your knee when your leg is extended to the bottom of your pedal stroke. Too high and your hips will rock back and forth on the saddle...you will also over extend you knees...ow! Too low and you will not get max power and leg extension...thereby prematurely fatiguing your quads on your ride.

Level wise: ...rule of thumb is "level" or "nose down", to prevent undue pressure on your soft bits. I ride a bit "nose up"(bmx-style) as I otherwise feel like I will slide off the nose...I find that this position also helps to focus my weight onto my sit-bones, my soft bits are not affected due to the cut-out saddle that I ride. I would say to adjust your level to your own level of comfort with regard to the soft bits while finding the spot that focuses your body weight on your "sit bones" which are the 2 bony protuberances from the bottom side of your pelvis.

...hope that is helpful, could get more detailed if you require, have a good ride!

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

Reid
Getting Hooked!

Post by Reid » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:39 pm

Hey, thanks. I get the height, but I've never had anyone explain the "level" aspect. The fact that I dislike bike shops with every fiber of my being has prohibited me from asking someone in person.

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:50 am

Reid wrote:Hey, thanks. I get the height, but I've never had anyone explain the "level" aspect. The fact that I dislike bike shops with every fiber of my being has prohibited me from asking someone in person.
No worries...you just have to find a good bike shop that has cool folks working at it who aren't so full of themselves and what awesome cyclists they are. I know those are tough to come by...we only have a few here in the land of 10,000 bike shops...if you have a shop that specializes in the commuting or touring niche, that is where I would expect to find the most helpful down-to-earth cyclists. I always tried to maintain perspective when I was in the shop scene...every one has to start somewhere, why not help them on their journey...no one is born an "expert" ;).

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:30 am

Had the ride from hell Saturday. What was supposed to be a nice little 50 mile spin down to Kimmswick and back turned into a ride that would have scared even the most stout hearted. We were harrassed by motorists at least 8 times, flipped off twice, had a U turn pulled directly in front of us and another driver while looking straight at me deliberately pull his pickup in my line. I was within a hands distance of broadsiding him. It was crazy. Modot in their infinite wisdom painted a bike lane over rumble strips making the bike lane completely unrideable. We stayed in the lane as much as possible hugging to the inside white line where the surface was better. I can understand why non riders might wonder why we weren't thoroughly in the bike lane, but to be enraged enough to lean on the horn and yell obscenities? To the pudgy bald guy that flipped me off while turning into the cemetary? No worries, I offered a short prayer for your Mom anyway. My wife twice wisely reminded me not to engage with an irrational person driving a 4500 pound killing machine especially since Missouri law allows them to carry killing machines inside their killing machines. To the good samaritan that stopped and asked if we were okay during my wife's excruciatingly painful groin spasm (she finished the ride after a lot of stretching and some Advil), thanks, your offer of help restored our hope for our fellow man. We ride road bikes all over the place and have never had a ride quite like this. The difference? I'm not sure but this was in an area that is new suburban mixed with old redneck and bubba. No sense of community, no sense of warmth. I tried talking with some people at a water stop and they looked like no stranger had ever been freindly before. God I hate the burbs. The route was excellent with a nice mix of hills and flats but my wife says she'll never ride that direction again. Me? I got a plan. I'm getting a US Flag jersey. I wanna see a redneck flip off the flag. Be careful out there. Its a jungle.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:19 pm

RussellK wrote:I wanna see a redneck flip off the flag.
You might have better luck with a confederate flag. :pale: Sorry you had the experience you did.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:17 am

Wow that ride sucks! I hate road riding, my last years bike miles were all on bike trails. All I had to put up with was wandering dogs and fast riders.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.