Cooling System Leaks

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Re: Cooling System Leaks

Post by Lanval » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:42 pm

So I finally got to filling the system. First I filled as much as I could from the rear, but I still need to fill from the front, and while Colin's two person system went well, I worry that the real issue there is Colin's presence. In other words, I'm not sure I could do it so well without him. So I thought about that "Libby Bong" thing. The problem is, I'm lazy. I don't want some fill thing using PCV pipe, and I don't want to hold anything. So I thought about it, went to ACE, and came up with this:

Underside

The goal was to figure out a way to fill the radiator using the actual coolant bottle. So I also needed some kind of hose. The hole into the radiator fits an M8 screw. That ain't big; so here's what I came up with:

Top in Place

Hose in Place

Works great. If you want a quick fill, you can put a hole in the bottom of the bottle, but that prevents me from using the bottle to recycle old coolant easily. So I just stop halfway, and let the bottle refill with air.

Filled the radiator to overflowing in a few minutes. Nice 'n easy.

Mike

nathan@el
Getting Hooked!

Post by nathan@el » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:18 am

cool little invention you made there Lanval. Let me know if you need any help with this process! I'm around...
Orange 1980 Vanagon L Westy
~190,000 miles on body
~20,000 on engine

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Slap a patent on it and call it a Prestone Bong! Bet you could sell a million at a dollar a piece :D
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:35 pm

Finally got the dash back together, and continued filling the system. Appears to be fully bled (haven't had time for a long drive to get it fully hot and test the system), and no leaks other than the bleeder screw in the radiator which needs to be tightened (drips a little bit) with a washer. Pics to follow.

Best,

L.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:18 am

Lanval wrote:Finally got the dash back together, and continued filling the system. Appears to be fully bled (haven't had time for a long drive to get it fully hot and test the system), and no leaks other than the bleeder screw in the radiator which needs to be tightened (drips a little bit) with a washer. Pics to follow.

Best,

L.
Remember that you can fill a radiator, you can fill an engine, everything looks topped-off, but there are air pockets all over the place. High rpms drive air bubbles out to the coolant bottle. After your actual test drive, expect a low coolant level the next morning, top-off when cold, check the next day and you should be good to go.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:59 am

Wanna hear how stupid people do it? I got the system up to where nothing but fluid was coming out. Screwed the new bleeder screw down, but couldn't get it all the way in. The wrenches weren't close by, so I drove it that way for a day, leaving a little puddle of coolant everywhere I went. Then the next day I started it up and ran it 'til it got hot and spitty, then closed it. I haven't checked the coolant since (probably low) but will this morning. Van has been running perfect in the hot weather, though I haven't gone for a long drive.

Long days working now, so pix tomorrow.

Best,

Mike