German Supply?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

poptop tom
Old School!

Re: German Supply?

Post by poptop tom » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:33 am

hiwaycallin wrote:
poptop tom wrote:I received a part from last week. And got it quicker than anything ever before frm Scott. Strange.
Could it be because he used courier instead of mail?
That's very possible. I didn't pay attention to how it was sent; just that it had arrived faster than anything else ever has coming from Canada.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

jonyem
Getting Hooked!

Post by jonyem » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:49 pm

I've been waiting since June 3rd for my order. I've emailed a couple times, without reply, and I can safely say I won't be using German Supply again.
Late 1973 ASI/Riviera conversion.

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:24 pm

I was at his new location a couple of weeks ago and his move is far from over. Many of his parts are in a storage place, and to top it off he and is family are also moving to a new house.
I think the dust will settle. Definitely try the phone. I did, got a response quite quickly, and being in Toronto, arranged to meet him and get a part from him that he had dug out of storage for me.
His parts supply, even if it is now half of what it was, is enormous, and stored in very many large plastic bins. I would not want to have his work load right now.
Jim

jonyem
Getting Hooked!

Post by jonyem » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:37 pm

grandfatherjim wrote:I was at his new location a couple of weeks ago and his move is far from over. Many of his parts are in a storage place, and to top it off he and is family are also moving to a new house.
I think the dust will settle. Definitely try the phone. I did, got a response quite quickly, and being in Toronto, arranged to meet him and get a part from him that he had dug out of storage for me.
His parts supply, even if it is now half of what it was, is enormous, and stored in very many large plastic bins. I would not want to have his work load right now.
Jim
They are all legitimate reasons for delay, but I paid for parts that I expected within the 5 to 10 days mentioned on the site, so that I could have them ahead of Colin's visit on Thursday. There's no mention on the site of a delay due to relocation, or a postal strike, so I'm a disappointed :pale: customer, but I'll be disgruntled :angryfire: should they not arrive before Wednesday.

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:43 pm

416-579-5820 got me through. Maybe he can tell you if and when it shipped at least.
Jim

hiwaycallin
Getting Hooked!

Post by hiwaycallin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:30 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... ivery.html

... and this after the strike ended almost 2 weeks ago. Yeah our mail system sucks.

jonyem
Getting Hooked!

Post by jonyem » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:41 am

hiwaycallin wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... ivery.html

... and this after the strike ended almost 2 weeks ago. Yeah our mail system sucks.
Guess I can rule out getting my parts in time.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:12 pm

That's unacceptable. I will not order from them anymore after reading this.
It's a car part. Not a luxury item we can wait for. Can't do without a car part for even a day.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:05 am

a simple up front warning would suffice, but having to find out from others or by constantly emailing/calling until you get a straight answer is just stupid. earlier this year I waited 3 months for a return package to be sent, so don't kid yourself that this is all due to a postal strike.

it's too bad, because Scott is a wealth of information and has parts kits that rival many others out there, and I hate to see someone throw their reputation under the bus like this.
1979 California Transporter

jonyem
Getting Hooked!

Post by jonyem » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:06 am

Yeah, it's a shame. I need some of those parts for Colin's visit tomorrow, so looks like we'll either re use what's on there, or do something else. Money's tight, so I can't just try to source what I'm missing nearby.

I'll still need those parts when they get here, so I'm getting what I paid for, but I had hoped that ordering a month and a half before needing them would be plenty of time.

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:20 am

So what did Scott say when you called him?
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:45 pm

I have to come to Scott's defense: he next-dayed me some things I needed even though when I was talking to him he was in the middle of closing on his house (!), and took the time to get my stuff to FedEx in the middle of all that. Saved me, really.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:17 am

I have heard good things over the years about the place. Quality parts, customer support, Strong desire to keep to a standard.

Don't let this blip prevent you from availing yourself of what has been a high standard.

We all get full plates sometimes. Bad timing for your circumstance, yes. But your Colin visit will still be chock full o' fixin' I'm sure...
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:33 am

Keep in mind, when things to striking in other countries - since usually a strike in the US means immediate relief in workforce - they mean it seriously and takes the system either partially or completely offline for at least a bit.

Hell, Lufthansa's strike was a big hit too, and it damn near shut down Frankfurt.

jonyem
Getting Hooked!

Post by jonyem » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:56 am

I should point out that I'm disappointed by the whole deal, and not directing anger towards German Supply. I've ordered from them before, and have had great success. Just aggravated due to having a deadline missed because of someone else.

I'll more than likely continue to order from them, but it will be when I can wait.