I just bought my first Westfalia, again!

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mike Boell
Old School!

I just bought my first Westfalia, again!

Post by Mike Boell » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:15 am

Hi,
I'm Mike, and I'm an AC addict.
Here's my story.

I just bought my first Westfalia , again.

I suppose my story should start with my father Roland who worked for Riviera Motors in Portland, Oregon from the time they opened in the early sixties to when they closed their doors some 30 years later. Growing up I saw my fair share of Volkswagens in and out of Dad's home garage. He'd buy a broken down VW, repair it after work and on weekends, then sell it to help pay the bills that came along.
In about 1977 Dad purchased a 1969 Westfalia and we made our first family trip from Oregon to Iowa. Dad, my 18 and 17 year old brother, myself  11, and my 9 year old sister. What a trip. 5 in a VW camper 1/2 way across the country. A few years later Dad moved up to a 1972 Westy that also took us on other adventures but mostly by this time it was just my sister and I.
About 1980 I recall Dad telling me that a gentleman came into Riviera Motors with engine problems on a 1975 Westfalia. After being quoted the price of a rebuilt motor he decided to trade it in on the new Vanagon camper allowing Dad to purchase the 75'.  Dad rebuilt the engine in the bus as well as adding as many extra's he could afford and for about 4 more years he drove this bus making a few more trips to Iowa and lots of local camping trips around Oregon.
In the summer of 1984 at the age of 18 I purchased Dad's bus as he had his eye on something a little larger. This was really my first nice vehicle and I have some good memories with this bus. In 1987, and now married, it came time to sell the bus and put the money into purchasing my first house and I sold her for $4000.00. Although I have no regret's I always missed the convenience of taking off for the weekend.
In 2004 my sister bought a 1976 Riviera camper and with little to no work her family was out camping. Well, her camper brought back all those good times and with some encouragement on her part got me to looking. Having an RV already I was not set to find any old camper but one that looked like my old bus. EBAY turned up one in San Diego all restored for $10,000.00, Craigslist turned up another beater non runner for $3000.00 but then nothing. The one I was after had to be yosemite yellow with blue plaid interior just like mine.
Being an avid Craigslist user, in Aug. of 08 around 5:45 am I checked in with my usual searches, and low and behold a new posting for a 1975 Westfalia and talk about new, it had just been posted at 1:45 am. Of the two pictures posted, one showed what remained of the blue pin stripping on the faded yosemite paint. Was this my bus after 22 years? With no phone number to call all I could do was reply and wait. About 8:30 a.m. I received a call, it was Mike the owner stating I was the first to respond and would I like to come out today and look it over. We agreed to meet at 4:30 but at 4:00 I pulled into his driveway in St. John's. Without getting out of the car I turned to my daughter and said, "That's my old bus." I had remembered some of the extra's Dad and I had added over the years and they were still present. I got out and looked her over and at 4:30 Mike arrived. "What do you think?" I think I'd like to go for a ride. He tossed me the keys and said go ahead but don't go far as she's about out of gas. Having felt the engine before he arrived I new it had been sitting all day and on the third crank she fired. I drove her around the neighborhood trying out all the gears. She runs good, shifts good, steers well, and the brakes work. So back to the driveway we go already knowing in my head I've just bought this bus.
Again,
        "What do you think?"
        "What's your bottom line?"
Oh, did I forget to mention that the bus was listed for $800.00. Are you now saying to yourself ,what is this guy thinking , pay him the money and run.
        "Well, I have had about 40 replies to my posting and 3 are scheduled to come out tonight. If they are not interested I'll let you have it for $750.00." Of coarse you already know my answer and that was,
        "Mike, I think you just sold me a bus, but there's a problem. You were specific in your add about bringing cash and I only have a dollar and some change in my pocket. I can write you a check if you will hold the bus until tomorrow when I can bring you cash and pick it up."
        "Wait, are you the guy that emailed saying you think this is your old bus?"     
        "Yes sir I am and yes sir it is. I sold this bus in 1987 and used the money to purchase my first home." I showed him all the things that Dad and I had changed when we owned it and that it needed to come back home.
Mike agreed that this bus belongs back home with me and he agreed to hold it. In the mean time however my wife was able to make it to the bank before they closed and I indeed paid cash and drove the bus the 30 miles home that evening.
It was not until I repurchased my bus that I learned from my siblings other adventures she had been on. Both of my older brothers had  borrowed the bus from Dad to take it camping. My Dad and sister now 15 took yet another trip to Iowa in 1984 where she learned to drive a stick shift. (So that explains the clutch when I bought it. Just kidding sis.)
Over the last 1 1/2 years we have participated in some of the Wet Westies group campouts, some family campouts, a VW campout in Maupin, Or. last Fathers day, and most recently a VW cruise up the Columbia River Gorge. Over this time I opened a VW savings account towards restoring her and as of last weekend I have taken her to Willy's shop in Molalla, Oregon who I have heard great stories about his body and paint work. I will keep you posted as things progress.
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:21 am

Great story! :cheers: I often wonder what happened to my old Volkses. But I'm not so sure I'd want them back!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Runamuck Bus
Getting Hooked!

Post by Runamuck Bus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:45 am

Way to go Mike, you scored twice! Please remember - We Love Pictures! And if you (and siblings) have any 'oldies', we would enjoy seeing them again with you.
Endeavor to Persevere.
'72 Weekender

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:46 am

Cool story.

Now, up with the pics :compress:
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:16 am

Awesome, just awesome. Glad you got it back!
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:27 am

HAHAHAAHAHHAHAAHHAHHAHHHAHAAAA!
IT"S GREAT HAVING THE OLD GIRL BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Mike Boell
Old School!

Pics

Post by Mike Boell » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:20 am

Yes I have pics. Lot's of them on my computer. How do I share them with you?
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:22 am

Easiest, get a (free) photobucket.com account. Upload them there. Once they're up, look for the [IMG] tag when you hover over the photo you want to share... paste that whole thing in your message.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Mike Boell
Old School!

photobucket

Post by Mike Boell » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:49 pm

I will set up a photobucket account and get some picture's going. Thanks
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:53 pm

Oh nice!!

Congrats!

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:54 pm

Great story, Mike! We were at Maupin last year and will be again this year. I hope you'll be there too so I can meet you and see your new/old/new bus!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:09 pm

Awesome.

My sister bought Bertha Bus from a salesman at Riviera Motors who had bought it, fixed it up and was selling it. Perhaps it was your Pop. That would have been roughly late eighties/early nineties.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:02 pm

Mike, fabulous story, what are the chances?? thanks for sharing it here and welcome to the IAC - great to have new old timers around!!
"The sad thing about governments is that in every single case, government formed by the people eventually becomes so large it begins to prey upon the people who created it.” -- B. Hoover

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:01 pm

Mike, that is a wonderful story. Further proof that life resembles more of a circle, rather than a straight line. Thanks for sharing. Hope to be able to meet you and your one-of-a-kind bus someday.
-'72 Westy-

Mike Boell
Old School!

pics ???

Post by Mike Boell » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:12 am

Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City