Endless Clutch Issues

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Endless Clutch Issues

Post by DjEep » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:36 pm

I pulled the engine today to fix a leaky oil cooler gasket and replace the cross shaft bushing that i mangled in my hasty on-the-road clutch job a few weeks ago, when I replaced a badly off-kilter PP and worn cross shaft. I got a new cross shaft kit and the arms looked a little off center in relation to the input shaft once installed. I thought it might just be a crappy/wrong x-shaft so i stuck the old one back in for comparison. The old one looks off too.

So... the questions...

Could it be possible that the trans is set up for the '71 style clutch? Could that explain the wonked PP and why even new TO bearings whine a bit in Geri? Why the PO said it "liked to break clutch cables"?

I searched and this topic seemed to confirm this theory.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... ifferences
How would i know for sure before ordering parts?

I checked the tranny for clues this morning and i found this:

CA042 2636 (Stamped)
LE 5017 <--- (Hand etched)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Endless Clutch Issues

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:42 pm

DjEep wrote:
new cross shaft kit and the arms looked a little off center in relation to the input shaft once installed.
The old one looks off too.

Do they look offset from side-to-side or up and down? The forks need to be equidistant from the input shaft and the release bearing saddles need to be horizontally aligned with the input shaft.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:21 pm

side to side,

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:47 am

anyone???

I need to put my engine back in!
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:28 pm

DjEep wrote:anyone???

I need to put my engine back in!
This reply is for the hordes of lurkers checking in on this exciting thread.
We (DjEep and I) think it is the missing bushing on the cross shaft that has caused misalignment.
Colin

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:37 pm

Amskeptic wrote:This reply is for the hordes of lurkers
Colin
And I was one.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:48 pm

glad you solved that one because its 3 days till the street-sweeping gestapo come around...

Djeep, gimme a holler if you need help
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:50 am

hopefully it will get back in today. Gonna need some help with the actual install maybe. It's a whole lot easier with 3 people than 1 or even 2. one to hold/balance, one underneath to guide and one to push. So feel free to stop by later dingo, i might just appreciate the extra set of claws.

Edit:
and for lurking VW newbies/seminewbies, present and future, the '71+ trans with the newer style clutch have a "guide tube" for the TOB around the input shaft, where the early ones do not. Had to search five different forums to find that simple answer, so i'm reposting it here.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:53 am

DjEep wrote:
Edit:
and for lurking VW newbies/seminewbies, present and future, the '71+ trans with the newer style clutch have a "guide tube" for the TOB around the input shaft, where the early ones do not. Had to search five different forums to find that simple answer, so i'm reposting it here.
. . .and further more, if you do not have a collar for the release bearing, you can still use a late style lots-of-fingers pressure plate with that little adapter that mimics the early style pressure plate's TOB ring.
Colin

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:44 pm

DjEep wrote:hopefully it will get back in today. Gonna need some help with the actual install maybe. It's a whole lot easier with 3 people than 1 or even 2. one to hold/balance, one underneath to guide and one to push. So feel free to stop by later dingo, i might just appreciate the extra set of claws.

Edit:
I'm still stuck at work in Oakland, but if you need another pair of hands tonight, please pm me. I could be there by 6:30 or so.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:59 am

Well, got my girlfriend and my neighbor help get her back in last night and got it running just as darkness set in. It was fun, we were on a slight uphill, tilted to the right, on a rough street, so I had to crawl under her to position the trans by hand while they fought the rough ground and slope to push it in. Clutch is quiet now (still a tiny bit of what i guess is pilot bearing noise when i depress the pedal fully) I solved my worn bushing problem by using a few washers in the bushing as shims to align the bearing. Thanks for your help and offers folks!

(eep)